Ex-guard breaks vow to feed family-A A +A
Wednesday, January 16, 2013
SECURITY guard Joselyndo Jabagat felt he was reduced to a “helpless puppy,” after he was accused of stealing over P1 million from the Cebu City Sports Center (CCSC) office last year.
“Tanaw nila ultimo lang ta (They regarded me as a worthless person),” said the 41-year-old father of three in a phone interview.
Police arrested him on Jan. 17, 2012, but days later they released him after the Cebu City Prosecutor’s Office dismissed the criminal complaint filed against him.
After his release, Jabagat quit his job as a security guard to take care of his two daughters. His wife Marilyn became the family breadwinner.
But last Aug. 23, she gave birth to their third daughter Janine.
Back to his old profession
“Pait gyod ning istambay ta (It’s hard to be out of a job),” he said.
He decided to apply for a slot at a security agency. He said he was amazed when he was accepted right away last Oct. 28.
He had made up his mind not to put on the uniform of a security guard, but he said he had no choice since he has an infant to feed.
“Naggatas pa gyod (She is still on milk),” he said.
His wife did not stop him from working, but she advised him not to accept a dangerous assignment.
Jabagat said he is still disappointed with Sinulog Foundation Inc. (SFI) executive director Ricky Ballesteros, who was one of his sponsors when he married Marilyn in 2003.
He also said the police should not stop investigating the burglary until the real culprits are caught.
“Ang gusto nako molutaw ang kamautoran (I want the truth to surface),” he said.
In an earlier report, SFI spent its own money to refund the P1.68 million that was taken from its office last Jan. 17.
The amount included the financial assistance worth P880,000 to out-of-town contingents who participated in last year’s Sinulog grand parade; the P757,000 talent fee of the choreographer and dancers who performed in the Sinulog grand finale; the administrative bonus worth P7,000 of the CCSC’s administrative clerk ; the SFI’s petty cash amounting to P10,000; P8,000 in ticket sales of the CCSC; and a digital camera worth P9,000.
Ballesteros said the chances of recovering the money are slim as the case drags.
Police continue to gather evidence and are backtracking to look for leads.
As for the Jabagats, they still live in their old wooden house in Barangay Carreta, Cebu City.
Jabagat said he and his wife will attend tomorrow’s dawn mass at the Basilica del Sto. Niño. They will bring along an image of the Holy Infant to be blessed.
He said he will pray for his family’s well-being, his safety and the people who turned their backs on him.
“Di lalim ang ilang gibuhat (What they did to me was horrible),” he said. “Ang Sto. Niño na lay mahibaw nila (I will just leave their fate to the Holy Infant).”
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 16, 2013.