Comelec makes Wakee’s disqualification final, cancels 9 bets in Cebu City-A A +A
Thursday, January 17, 2013
BOXING promoter Rex “Wakee” Salud can no longer run for mayor in Cordova town in May.
Last Tuesday, the Commission on Election (Comelec) en banc canceled Salud’s certificate of candidacy and removed him from the list of candidates in Cordova.
Comelec also disqualified nine candidates—two were aspiring to become mayor, three for congressional representatives and five for councilor—in Cebu City.
Cebu Provincial Comelec Supervisor Lionel Marco Castillano said the names of the disqualified candidates will no longer appear in the ballots, unless they are able to secure a temporary restraining order from the Supreme Court.
Printing of the ballots will begin this month.
Salud wanted to run for mayor in Cordova in May 13.
The Comelec noted that the higher courts had not issued an order preventing the implementation of the decision of the election agency to cancel Salud’s candidacy.
When sought for reaction, Salud said he will consult his lawyers.
“Kung naay legal remedy, padayon gihapon ta kutob sa mahimo. Ug wa na gyud, di na ta mopadayon (If there are legal remedies available, we will use them. But if there is none, we’ll yield),” said Salud.
Comelec Resolution 9614 cites Section 39 (a) of the Local Government Code, which provides that an elective official must be a registered voter in the municipality or city where he intends to be elected.
The resolution was signed by Comelec Chairman Sixto Brillantes and six commissioners.
The Comelec Second Division, in its Jan. 4, 2013 resolution, ruled that Salud is not and cannot be a registered voter of Barangay Cogon, Cordova. He is also not eligible to run for any position in the town.
The Comelec said that Salud failed to prove that he has been residing in Cordova for at least one year.
Salud, who has a house in Cebu City, said earlier that he was renting a house in Barangay Cogon since June 2011.
The Comelec, however, found the house he was referring to was a room that did not have a bed.
In a Jan. 11, 2013 resolution, the Comelec canceled the candidacies of mayoralty candidates Lea Remedios Ong and Miguel Gonzalve Selim; congressional bets, Juan Umacob Arenasa and Eliseo Sanjorjo Tumulak for the north district, and Erlinda Sy Sollano for the south.
The poll body also disqualified Bert Leo Abella, Jose Cane and Gumersindo Canoy Cañete and Ricardo Nacor Adlawan, who wanted to seek a seat in the City Council.
The candidates were given a chance to explain why they should not be disqualified from running in the elections on May 13.
The Comelec can disqualify any candidate that may mock the elections for having no clear and viable campaign plan, and displaying irrational behavior.
Section 69 of the Omibus Election Code states that nuisance candidates cause confusion among voters by the similarity of their names to other registered candidates.
Meanwhile, Comelec will conduct a field test and mock elections on Jan. 26 to Feb. 2 in selected provinces.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 17, 2013.