PNP all set, Citom to close SRP early-A A +A
Thursday, January 17, 2013
WITH three more days before the Sinulog celebration, Cebu City Police Office officer-in-charge Mariano Natuel said they are 95 percent ready in their security preparations.
Natuel said the remaining five percent is for them to finalize all the security measures in the city.
A dry run for police personnel to be deployed in different areas in the city was also conducted yesterday.
Natuel presented guidelines for all those who wanted to join the procession and grand parade this weekend.
Police also shared prevention tips against burglary for those who will leave the house:
•Lock the house properly before leaving, but it is more advisable not to leave the house unattended.
• Do not welcome strangers into your house. If possible, do not entertain people that you don’t know.
• Make friends with your entire neighborhood so that in case of emergency, they will be able to help you.
For those who want to join the Sinulog, police suggested:
• Not to wear and bring expensive stuff, such as jewelry and gadgets.
• Deadly weapons and sharp bladed objects are prohibited.
• It is best to walk than bring private vehicles to avoid heavy traffic. Know the routes so as not to get stranded.
• Refrain from bringing children. Name tags with personal information should be brought by the children in case they will get lost.
• Do not walk alone in crime-prone areas or on dark streets.
Natuel said that if these guidelines will be followed, then everything will be orderly.
Some 1,500 officers from the CCPO will be deployed this weekend. Other neighboring cities, such as Mandaue and Lapu-lapu City, will also send some 50 police personnel each to help Cebu City police during the Sinulog.
Earlier this week, the City Traffic Operations and Management (Citom) revealed that on Sunday, they allocated a 10-hectare lot, which can accommodate about a thousand vehicles, at the South Road Properties.
This means that buses, minibuses and private vehicles will not be allowed to enter the city proper.
Joy Tumulak, of the City Traffic Operations Management (Citom), said in an interview that after 3 a.m. on Jan. 20, no vehicles will be allowed to enter the city premises.
Vehicles from the south will be parked at the SRP.
A public utility vehicle will be provided for all passengers to take them to the Basilica del Sto. Niño from the SRP.
Tumulak said that some 50 jeepneys will be given special permits for them to transport passengers from the SRP.
He added that from the SRP, jeepneys will transport the passengers into the Senior Citizens’ Park.
Passengers will have to walk about 500 meters to reach the basilica.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 17, 2013.