PB slashes 2013 proposed appropriation by P400M due to lower revenues-A A +A
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
THE Cebu Provincial Board (PB) yesterday approved a P3.259-billion budget for this year.
Among the items whose appropriations were cut are non-office expenditures; maintenance and other operating expenses; and that of the Provincial Information Office.
PB members also decided to reduce their P5-million legislative assistance fund (LAF) by P1 million. This brings down each PB member’s LAF to P4 million.
The approved budget is about P400 million lower than the P3.67 billion proposed by the executive branch.
PB Member Peter John Calderon, committee on budget and appropriation chairman, said this year’s budget is 11 percent lower than last year’s P3.659 billion.
He assured that the appropriations for hospitals and basic services have not been reduced.
He said the proposed budget had to be reduced because the Capitol’s revenues decreased.
Calderon said proceeds from the sale of “93-1” lots and other properties may not be realized.
He was referring to Capitol-owned lots in Cebu City that were covered by Provincial Ordinance 93-1.
The ordinance, passed by the PB in 1993, allowed occupants of the Capitol-owned lots to purchase the land within a certain period.
Only a few occupants were able to complete the lot payments within the period prescribed by the Capitol. This resulted in an exchange of proposals between the Capitol and the Cebu City Government, including a land swap.
Calderon also pointed out that the Province has P1 billion in payables .
With these, PB Member Ian Zambo moved for a cut in their LAF for this year.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 22, 2013.