Survivor moved out of ICU-A A +A
Wednesday, January 30, 2013
CEBU City Assistant Prosecutor Maria Teresa Casiño was transferred to a private room last Monday evening after staying in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) for a week.
She was admitted to the hospital after she was shot in the head by Canadian national John Pope last Jan. 22.
The bullet is still lodged in her nape and doctors have not yet decided if it will be extracted or not, said Jojo Cornejo, Casiño’s sister.
Cornejo told Sun.Star Cebu that Casiño’s condition continues to improve, that is why she was transferred to a private room.
“Pwede ra man dili na kuhaon ang bullet but depende lang na maybe after ten days (It’s possible the bullet won’t be removed),” Cornejo said in a phone interview.
He said Casiño also seldom complains about the pain caused by the bullet in her nape since doctors gave pain relievers.
Casiño had thought she was admitted in the hospital because she had a heart attack.
A close friend of Casiño visited her last week and informed her she was shot by Pope inside the Palace of Justice Tuesday morning.
Her left eye’s vision also blurred because of the swelling.
Pope shot Casiño when he passed by her on the hallway on the fourth floor of the Palace of Justice.
Minutes earlier, he shot Dr. Rene Rafols and Rafols’ lawyer Jubian Achas inside the Municipal Trial Court in Cities Branch 6 courtroom.
Several organizations and individual supporters have extended help to Casiño and her family.
Casiño will be put under observation before doctors will decide if the bullet should be removed from her nape.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 30, 2013.