Daluz reminds BOPK councilors: Let Mayor Rama do the hiring-A A +A
Sunday, February 3, 2013
AN ally of Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama at the City Council hit the Bando Osmeña Pundok Kauswagan (BOPK)-dominated body for allegedly encroaching on the power of the executive department to appoint workers.
Councilor Jose Daluz III questioned why Councilors Margarita Osmeña and Nida Cabrera incorporated in their resolutions the names of the job-order (JO) personnel that are to be hired by some City Government offices.
In their regular session, Osmeña filed a resolution that seeks to renew the services of 57 JO for the garbage collection disposal program of the Department of Public Services.
They have an appropriation of P2.7 million, which will cover their salaries for January to June this year.
Cabrera, for her part, filed resolutions to renew 12 JO personnel for the Cebu City Zoo, with a budget of P506,880, and 18 JO for the Cebu City Parks and Playgrounds Commission, with a budget of P760,320 for their January to June salaries.
When these resolutions were tackled, both Osmeña and Cabrera read the names of the JO that will be hired so that these will be put on record by the council’s secretariat.
This way, Vice Mayor Joy Augustus Young said the JO included in the list will no longer be replaced or changed.
Rama’s nephew, Councilor Eduardo Rama Jr., was criticized in October last year by some members of the council after he replaced four garbage collection personnel in Barangay Cogon Pardo.
Cogon Pardo is headed by Barangay Captain Eugenio Gabuya Jr., who is running for councilor on the BOPK ticket in the May 13 polls.
During the council’s discussion, Daluz questioned the inclusion of the names of the JO that are to be hired.
“It is the power of the mayor to appoint. You are encroaching on the power of the executive department to appoint,” the third-term councilor said.
What the council should do, Daluz said, is approve the manpower request of any City Hall office.
Osmeña said, though, they are not encroaching on the powers of the mayor, adding that the list of JOs to be hired came from the offices of the executive department.
Despite Daluz’s objection, both resolutions of Osmeña and Cabrera were approved by the body.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on February 03, 2013.