Work goes on despite death-A A +A
Monday, February 11, 2013
DESPITE calls from an official to temporarily stop the road widening in one of the mountain barangays, Talisay City Mayor Socrates Fernandez said he doesn’t plan to do so.
A woman died and two persons were injured last week in Barangay Lagtang, site of the repairs, but Fernandez said the project contractors will only be advised to improve their preventive measures.
Talisay City Councilor Danny Caballero has suggested suspending the road widening, in order for project subcontractor QM Builders to come up with better measures.
But Fernandez told Sun.Star Cebu yesterday the City Government cannot stop the work, not even temporarily, because the project contractors are working on a tight schedule.
Last week, a 47-year-old woman was killed while two other people were hurt when the motorcycle they were riding got hit by a falling rock in Barangay Lagtang.
The mayor admitted, however, that last Thursday’s accident was not the first time the authorities have had to call the attention of the project contractor.
Last January, a rock fell on a car carrying a family in the same area. Earth-moving activities must have caused it to fall, Fernandez said. Luckily, no one was hurt.
Mayor Fernandez said that despite the two incidents, the authorities allowed the project contractors to continue, as long as they come up with preventive measures.
However, if more accidents occur, Fernandez said he will have no choice but to stop the operations.
Fernandez also plans to meet with QM Builders’ management to talk about improving their accident prevention measures.
QM Builders is the subcontractor of the P52.3-million road widening project being conducted in the Talisay-Toledo Wharf Access Road.
Meanwhile, Linao Barangay Chief Ofelia Ylanan criticized the Talisay City Government for reportedly focusing on acquiring a three-hectare lot in Barangay Lagtang to be used as an access road for the New Talisay City Public Market.
Ylanan told reporters that while the City Government is busy discussing the acquisition of the lot, one of her barangay’s main roads has yet to be repaired.
Interviewed separately, Mayor Fernandez said the road repairs Ylanan requested are scheduled to be done within the year. The City is just waiting for word from the Bids and Awards Committee on who will be the main contractor for the road repairs in the city’s barangays.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on February 11, 2013.