Sinsin relocation site to benefit 220 families-A A +A
Sunday, February 17, 2013
THE Cebu City Council is looking into the list of possible beneficiaries and the integrity of the proposed relocation site in Barangay Sinsin.
A total of 220 families from mountain barangays Sudlon II, Bonbon, Buot Taup and Sinsin will occupy the 1.8-hectare lot.
The Cebu City Government has secured a P12-million land development fund from the National Housing Authority’s (NHA) Regional
From the P12 million, P6 million will serve as a grant, while the remaining 50 percent will be loaned to the City.
The loan is payable up to 10 years without interest.
However, Councilor Sisinio Andales said that only families from the south district will benefit from the relocation site.
Councilor Nida Cabrera asked if the site has been inspected by the Mines and Geo-sciences Bureau (MGB) 7.
MGB 7 has declared some parts of Sinsin as landslide-prone areas.
NHA Engr. Jude Juntillo explained, in a public hearing last Wednesday, that the immediate beneficiaries of the relocation site are the informal settlers in mountain barangays, which are considered landslide-prone areas.
If there are available lots, families living in dangerous areas or who stand to be displaced by court-ordered demolitions can also occupy the relocation site.
Juntillo said that if the City has another lot, NHA may propose to develop this as a second relocation site.
Division on Welfare of the Urban Poor Chief Atty. Collin Rosell said beneficiaries need to be homeless, underprivileged, and registered voters of Cebu City to be qualified to settle in the relocation site. Beneficiaries also need to undergo a socio-economic survey.
Sinsin Barangay Captain Ramon Ylaya Jr. also expressed his hopes on the relocation site.
“Usa gyud na sa akong gi-ngari nga maka-benefit amo barangay sa (That’s one of the reasons I’m here to make sure that our village will benefit from the) relocation site, kay daghan sa mga mopuyo dili ila ang yuta (because most of my constituents do not have their own lot),” Ylaya said.
The council set a hearing on Feb. 27 for MGB 7 officials and affected families.
Last year, Cebu City Hall built two medium- rise low-cost condominiums at the old Lorega San Miguel Cemetery using the P78-million Poverty Alleviation Fund from NHA.
A total of 172 urban settlers benefited from the project. (Rachel Anne M. Umpad, USJ-R Mass Com intern )
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on February 17, 2013.