Relocation of 220 families needs hazard, risk review-A A +A
Monday, March 4, 2013
THE Cebu City Council wants the executive department to review its plan to relocate some 220 families living in landslide-prone areas to a City Government-owned property in the mountain barangay of Sinsin.
This, considering that Sinsin is also among the barangays in the city identified by the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources as susceptible to landslides.
MGB had earlier identified 20 barangays in the city as landslide-prone areas.
Aside from Sinsin, this includes Barangays Lusaran, Binaliw, Guba, Budlaan, Malubog, Buot-Taup, Busay, Sirao, Pulangbato,Taptap, Tagbao and Tabunan, Pung-ol Sibugay, Sudlon II, Sudlon I, Buhisan, Pamutan, Sapangdaku, and Adlaon.
Councilor Nida Cabrera, chairperson of the council’s committee on environment, said a thorough study should be conducted on the City’s property at Sinsin to make sure that they are safe for the families that will be relocated there.
“If ato silang ibalhin, let’s be clear about this. Let’s make sure that they will be really safe,” she said.
Cabrera’s pronouncement was made during the council’s public hearing on the use of P12-million fund for the project from the National Housing Authority’s Regional Resettlement Program.
Councilor Jose Daluz III echoed Cabrera’s statement, adding that the money that the
City intends to avail itself from NHA will only be wasted if the project fails.
Councilor Sisinio Andales then asked the City’s Management Information and Computer Services (Mics) if they have conducted a topographical survey on the relocation site.
Mics head Condrado Ordesta, in appearing before the legislative body, said they already have.
Ordesta said the City-owned property in Sinsin where the 220 families will be relocated is 18,998 sq. m. It is also near the road, at least 650 m. from the barangay hall and 1.5 kms. from a public school.
Andales then asked Ordesta if he can assure that the area is safe, the latter said it is the MGB who can make such assessment.
Asked who chose the Sinsin property to serve as relocation site, NHA 7 representative Jude Montello said it was the recommendation of the City’s Division for the Welfare of the Urban Poor.
Montello said other areas suggested to be a relocation site is a City-owned property in Sitio Kapasar in Budlaan, but the site is just too steep.
Councilor Alvin Dizon, chairperson of the council’s committee on housing, then said that the City should get an assessment of the Sinsin property from MGB to know if the area is really safe for the 220 families.
Asked on who will identify the families to be relocated, Montello said the discretion belongs to the City.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on March 04, 2013.