Social welfare ex-chief: Successor is ‘mere political appointee’-A A +A
Wednesday, March 6, 2013
IF YOU ask Marivic Garces who is qualified to head the Cebu Provincial Social Welfare and Development office (PSWDO), she will answer, “I am.”
“I’m still the PSWDO registered social worker,” Garces told reporters yesterday.
She described Evelyn Senajon, who was appointed by Acting Gov. Agnes Magpale to head the PSWDO, as “a mere political accommodation.”
Garces was directed to report to the Integrated Provincial Health Office (IPHO). She said her duties and responsibilities in the IPHO are not clear to her.
Provincial General Services Office (PGSO) Acting Chief Eva Encabo accused Garces of failing to follow correct procedures in the purchase of supplies.
“Kanang PSWD nagpatuyang ra’g purchase. Sila ra buhat sa PO (purchase order), sila ra buhat sa delivery, sila ra sa warehousing, sila control tanan (Those people at PSWD buy without POs; they make their own delivery receipts, they take care of warehousing; they control everything),” Encabo said.
These resulted in over-stocking of food items, she added.
The PGSO, in a recent inventory, found several boxes of instant noodles whose sell-by date is March 25.
Senajon earlier assured that the noodles will be distributed before they are spoiled.
Garces said that when she was at the helm of the PSWDO, they did not buy anything that was not needed.
She pointed out that she was not the one who signed purchase orders and delivery receipts were signed by suppliers. She said she merely helped facilitate the purchases to speed up the process.
She said the noodles were intended for typhoon Pablo victims and these were supposed to be distributed last December yet. But before the noodles could be released, Cebu Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia was suspended and there was uncertainty in the Capitol.
Garces said the beneficiaries of the vitamins and school supplies have been identified and the items were supposed to be distributed last year as well. “But some LGUs (local government units) failed to pick them up,” she added.
Senajon, who replaced Garces on Feb. 8, accused Garces of failing to turn over the social welfare office.
But Garces denied this. “What turnover is she asking for? All records, documents, reports and others are in the office,” she said.
Besides, Garces said, Senajon is no stranger to the PSWDO as she has been working there for many years.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on March 06, 2013.