No need for ‘no parking’ sign at Fernan bridge-A A +A
Sunday, March 10, 2013
THE Mactan-Cebu Bridge Management Board (MCBMB) agreed there’s no need to have “no parking” signs at the Marcelo Fernan Bridge.
During the MCBMB meeting last Thursday, Lapu-Lapu City Planning and Development Coordinator Perla Amar told the board the “no parking” sign was on the right side of the bridge going to Mandaue City from Lapu-lapu.
“It was not necessary,” Amar said.
Amar, who came as representative from the Lapu-Lapu City Government, said it is understandable that no one can park on the bridge.
Amar said it will create a funny impression to tourists to see a “no parking” sign in a place where it is obviously not possible to park.
The representative from Lapu-lapu and Mandaue City denied they placed the sign.
The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) 7 also denied it.
Peter Dy, of PLD Construction, told the board the road sign was placed by Kajima-Sumimoto Joint Venture, the bridge’s contractor.
PLD Construction is the private contractor of the DPWH.
DPWH 7 Director Ador Canlas told Sun.Star Cebu yesterday they already removed the sign last Friday afternoon.
In the meeting, bicycle riders were advised not to use the main road of the bridge because it slows down traffic and this will risk their lives.
The asphalt overlay and repairs at the old Mactan-Mandaue Bridge are expected to be completed on March 12.
PLC Construction only does the work from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m., as decided by the MCDCB after the public complained about heavy traffic.
For the Marcelo Fernan Bridge, repairs will start on March 16.
Magpale said the repair of the Marcelo Fernan Bridge was supposed to start on March 13.
But they received a request to move the date to give way to the 27th Confederation of Asia-Pacific Chamber of Commerce and Industry, which will be on March 13 to 15.
Magpale, who presided over the MCBMB meeting last week, said the contractor will use the same schedule as that of the first bridge, which is from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on March 11, 2013.