Projects 'blitz' in 1st district?-A A +A
Saturday, March 16, 2013
THE implementation of the first project funded by a P400-million fund that Rep. Tomas Osmeña (Cebu City, south district) set aside for the first district of Cebu Province has started.
The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) 7 broke ground yesterday for the P28.21-million widening of Langtad Bridge in Naga City.
The amount also covers the widening of the 232-meter road approaching the bridge, 100 meters from the side going to Cebu City and 132 meters from the side going to Carcar City.
The groundbreaking ceremony was attended by Osmeña, Rep. Eduardo Gullas (Cebu Province, first district), Gullas's grandson first district congressional candidate Gerald Anthony Gullas Jr., gubernatorial candidate Hilario Davide III and aspiring Provincial Board member Councilor Raul Alcoseba.
The Langtad Bridge is one of the six bridges from Tinaan, Naga City to Carcar City that will be improved and widened using the P400-million fund.
Based on records of the DPWH, P270.6 million out of the P400 million will be used to improve and widen six bridges.
The other project components include building a lined canal along N. Bacalso Ave. to Carcar City (P23.3 million), building the Carcar Bypass Project (P50 million), and construction of the Carcar Bypass Road (P56 million).
During the groundbreaking ceremony yesterday, Engr. Nonato Paylado of DPWH 7 said two lanes will be added to the existing two lanes of the Langtad Bridge. It will be complemented with a sidewalk.
Another two lanes, Paylado said, will be added to the existing two-lane road approaching the bridge.
If the good weather continues, Paylado said the project, which will be undertaken by AR Adlawan Construction, will be finished within 210 calendar days.
Engr. Daisy Toledo, DPWH second district office head, asked the public to be patient since the project will cause traffic.
"Development is twinned with inconvenience. We asked the traveling public and the road users going to and from south of Cebu to please bear with us," she said.
According to Toledo, the other projects funded by the P400-million fund will be implemented soon.
Toledo assured that it will not be covered by the Commission on Elections (Comelec) ban on infrastructure projects, which will start on March 29, since the biddings have been concluded and the notices of award issued to the winning contractors.
Yesterday, Gullas thanked Osmeña for the P400 million worth of projects.
"I want to make public my gratitude to Tommy and I want to thank Cebu City Hall for not accepting his (Osmeña) projects. Kini nga proyekto (widening of Langtad Bridge) dili makumpleto kung di tungod niya. I thank him sincerely for that," he said.
For Gullas, the widening of the bridge and the roads approaching it will benefit the whole region.
He pointed out that those who come from Negros Oriental, Gihulngan and San Carlos City, among others, who want to go to Cebu City can use the road.
It was in September last year when Osmeña announced the P400-million fund will instead to the province's first district, which Gullas represents in Congress, because of Mayor Michael Rama's opposition to his projects.
The amount was originally intended for the construction of a flyover in Barangay Lahug, which Rama opposed.
Osmeña then realigned the funds to cover six road concreting projects in his district but these were again opposed by the mayor, who said the roads don't need to be concreted because these are still in good condition.
In an interview, the congressman said the groundbreaking yesterday will show to Rama that there are really funds available for the projects he wanted to be implemented in the city.
In his regular news conference yesterday, Rama criticized Osmeña for diverting funds intended for the city.
"It is a misplaced affection," he said.
While he opposed the earlier projects of Osmeña, Rama said the money could have been used for other, more important projects in the city.
These, he said, include concreting the dilapidated roads in the mountain barangays.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on March 16, 2013.