Speedboat, multicab catch fire in separate incidents-A A +A
Monday, March 18, 2013
A SPEEDBOAT was destroyed while a yacht was damaged when a fire broke out at the Cebu Yacht Club in Barangay Ibo, Lapu-Lapu City yesterday afternoon.
The fire followed another one that burned a multicab that was travelling along the highway in Barangay Inuboran, Naga City yesterday morning.
FO2 Climaco Salisid of the Lapu-Lapu City Fire District said they received the fire alarm at 1:55 p.m. The fire was put out five minutes later.
No one was reported injured.
An electrical short circuit in the engine room of the speedboat owned by a Manger
Calderon caused the fire, which spread to the yacht Amanda owned by Fernando Borja.
The vessels were docked close to each other at the wharf of the Cebu Yacht Club.
Climaco said a fire truck of the Mactan Economic Processing Zone 1 responded to the fire immediately.
The fire was already controlled when a fire truck from the Lapu-Lapu City Fire District arrived.
Fire investigators estimated the damage to reach P50,000.
It was the second fire incident at the Cebu Yacht Club in eight months.
In July last year, a fire destroyed a yacht and damaged another one. A short circuit in the engine room of the Spirit of Freedom II, owned by a French national, was blamed for the fire.
The fire spread to Yacht Kai Kappu, but it was immediately dragged away by firefighters.
Fire investigators estimated the cost of damage at P1.8 million, but the burned yacht reportedly costs $1 million or roughly P40 million.
On the multicab fire, driver Wendel Montero, 35, of Barangay Labangon, Cebu City, noticed a smoke coming out from the vehicle’s engine before the fire.
SFO1 Jocyline Escomo, chief of operations of the Naga City Fire Station, said they received the alarm at 11:55 a.m.
The fire destroyed the multicab, including all its papers, owned by Helen Bocboc, Montero’s sister-in-law.
Montero was with three friends, Wilfredo Senerio, Reneboy Patalinghug, and one only identified as Daisy, all residents of Barangay Labangon, that time. They were on their way to Carcar City on a business trip.
Escomo said the passengers noticed sparks from the wirings of the vehicle before it caught fire.
Fire investigators have yet to estimate the damage.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on March 18, 2013.