Highways among local aspirants' pledges

-A A +A

Monday, May 6, 2013


NEW roads that will connect Cebu's eastern and western seaboards, or go from north to south, are among the promises some local candidates have made in the run-up to May 13.

"There are a lot potential roads that need to be improved that would connect, for instance, Asturias to Danao City. The effect of that road if we build that would be tremendous because it would open up commerce and trade from the mid-western part of Cebu to the eastern part of Cebu. You can just imagine the opportunities that would be opened up," said Rep. Pablo John Garcia (Cebu Province, third district).

Garcia, who is running for governor under One Cebu, recently attended a "Tell it to Sun.Star" session. He said another road that could be developed is one from Tuburan to Catmon town.

He said he is not closing the door to a trans-axial highway, like the one proposed by the late Vice Gov. Greg Sanchez, but that the study for it needs to be reviewed.

He said such a project would be so costly that a public-private partnership might be a more feasible way to pursue it.

In 2007, P10 million was set aside by the Cebu Provincial Government for the preparatory work on the trans-axial highway project and its components.

It was supposed to be a four-lane highway from Daanbantayan in the north to Santander town in the south. It was also supposed to have provisions for water supply and power.

Earlier, Liberal Party gubernatorial candidate Hilario Davide III said he would revive the trans-axial highway project if he gets elected as governor. This is his second attempt, after losing to Cebu Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia in 2010.

Gigi Sanchez-Zaballero, the vice governor's daughter, recently said she will pursue the trans-axial project if she is elected to the Provincial Board.

Speaking in last week's 888 News Forum at Marco Polo Plaza, Zaballero blamed "political harassment" for the project's failure to take off.

The vice governor died on April 29, 2011.

"That is (trans-axial highway) a very good project that was never realized because of political maneuvering," Zaballero said.

Zaballero is the LP's lone candidate for the Provincial Board (PB) seats representing the third district. She is running against reelectionist PB Members Alex Binghay and his son-in-law, Ian Zambo.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on May 06, 2013.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu front page for August 31, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Festivals
  • Technology
  • Calamity Report
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Philippine Polls
  • Pnoy
  • Obituary
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • ePaper
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Pacman blog
  • goodearth
  • Habemus Papam
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Sinulog