Joavan may be detained in Cebu City jail

-A A +A

Tuesday, May 21, 2013


CEBU CITY -- To ensure Joavan Fernandez will not escape again, the police are mulling the idea of detaining him in the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center (CPDRC) instead of Talisay City Jail.

Fernandez, 30, and two companions were arrested outside a beach resort in Moalboal town Monday morning, 12 days after the Talisay City mayor’s son escaped from detention in Talisay.

“Our paramount consideration now is his security. We have to remove him from a favorable environment, to where he doesn’t have any influence,” said Senior Superintendent Patrocinio Comendador, head of the Cebu Provincial Police Office (CPPO).

Fernandez, recently declared Cebu’s “public enemy number one,” will face an additional charge of illegal possession of a firearm. The Moalboal police said they found a .45 pistol in his possession.

The gun ban imposed for the election remains in effect until June 12.

Sun.Star Cebu tried to get Joavan’s side on the matter but he refused to comment.

Recognition

Comendador said Joavan might be able to get help if he is detained in the Talisay City Jail in Maghaway, which is why other detention centers are being considered.

“He is a sensational criminal. We will give due recognition to the policemen who arrested him,” Comendador also said.

At 9:30 a.m. Monday, Joavan, along with companions Beneto Sellon, 48, and Carlito Canada, 38, was preparing to board two pump boats on the shores of Club Serena Beach resort in Barangay Saavedra.

They were believed to be bound for Negros Oriental.

A team led by the Moalboal police chief, Inspector Henry Orbiso, stopped them.

Mayor Fernandez declined to comment on his son’s arrest, but his successor, Talisay City Mayor-elect Johnny delos Reyes, congratulated the police for it.

Reward

As promised, Delos Reyes said he will provide a cash reward -- amount not specified -- to the arresting policemen.

While he admitted that he and Mayor Fernandez are friends, Delos Reyes said there will be no sacred cows when it comes to Joavan.

A worker of the beach resort, who refused to give his name, told reporters Monday that Joavan and his companions checked in around 5 p.m. last Sunday.

Aside from his two companions, Joavan reportedly brought a female companion, with whom he shared a room. The resort charged them P3,000 per day.

Police found a .45 pistol with four bullets with Joavan, along with a bag.

Joavan and his two companions were eventually brought to the Moalboal Police Station.

In a press conference on Monday, Superintendent Elmer Lim, acting chief of the Talisay City Police Station, said that once Joavan is brought to Cebu City for the formal filing of charges, the Talisay police will immediately present three additional warrants of arrest against him for alleged illegal possession of firearms and explosives.

3 warrants

The three warrants were issued by Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 10 Judge Soliver Peras, Lim added.

Before his arrest on Monday, Joavan escaped from the Talisay City Police Station last May 8 by persuading a police officer to let him speak with his children outside.

Earlier that day, Joavan had failed to post bail for charges of illegal possession of firearms and explosives.

Last May 13, police reportedly spotted Joavan hanging out with some friends in a beach resort in Lapu-Lapu City. He escaped after a chase.

Provincial Police Chief Comendador said the police will also file complaints of harboring a criminal against the two men who allegedly arranged for Joavan’s transportation.

Comendador said he is grateful the Moalboal Police Station managed to monitor Joavan’s whereabouts.

Regular?

“There were previous reports that he stayed there. In fact, before his arrest in Talisay City, he reportedly went there,” Comendador said.

He said Joavan will be first brought to the Cebu Provincial Prosecutor’s Office for the filing of the complaint of illegal possession of firearms today, before he will be presented to the media.

If Joavan resists, Comendador reiterated the police will not have second thoughts of employing force.

“We have a legal basis to neutralize him. We will not hesitate,” he said. (Sun.Star Cebu)

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on May 21, 2013.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu's front page for August 30, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Pnoy
  • ePaper
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Festivals
  • Technology
  • Obituary
  • Sinulog
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Pacman blog
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Calamity Report
  • Philippine Polls
  • Habemus Papam
  • goodearth