‘Clear structures near abattoir’-A A +A
Saturday, August 17, 2013
THE Department of Veterinary Medicine and Fisheries (DVMF) wants the Cebu City Government to ask the Mandaue City Government to remove 50 structures built within the abattoir at the North Reclamation Area.
DVMF chief Dr. Pilar Romero said this is to comply with the provisions of Presidential Decree 856 or the Sanitation Code of the Philippines.
The code provides that an abattoir should be at least 500 meters away from residential areas, schools, churches and public places of assemblies, she said.
Mandaue City Administrator James Abadia said the City will relocate the informal settlers along the Mahiga Creek, including those near the abattoir of Cebu City.
This, as the City has developed a 6.5-hectare lot in Barangay Paknaan as a relocation site for 1,200 families living within the three-meter easement of rivers.
Abadia said the City adheres to the policy of the National Government to provide financial assistance or relocation to qualified informal settlers.
In the clearing of Mahiga Creek, Abadia said, the City will enforce not only the provisions of the Urban Housing Development Act and the disaster risk reduction and management law, but environmental laws as well.
“Nobody is exempted from the law, whether informal settlers or not. We will work hand in hand with Cebu City to correct whatever environmental laws that have been violated,” Abadia said.
“We’re very much concerned about the situation in Mahiga Creek. The City is very serious in taking the necessary steps to do the relocation of settlers,” he told Sun.Star Cebu yesterday.
Romero said that while the property where the abattoir stands is titled under the name of Cebu City, it is situated within the jurisdiction of Mandaue City.
In an interview yesterday, Romero said the illegal structures surrounding the abattoir should be removed for sanitation.
Aside from this, it is among the requirements needed so the abattoir will be given a “triple A” accreditation by the National Meet Inspection Services (NMIS).
A “triple A” accreditation is the highest standard set by the NMIS for slaughter facilities, which means it has complied with international standards.
Mayor Michael Rama said DVMF should write a letter to him first covering the matter.
Romero said the abattoir has not been given any accreditation by the NMIS. She assured, however, that Cebu City still observes safety and sanitary standards when
DVMF said they are improving the operations of the abattoir in order to reach the desired NMIS accreditation.
Last Monday, the renovation of the abattoir started, costing at least P6 million, she said.
The renovation will repair the leaking roof at the facility and improve its walls and floors.
Romero said there will still be a daily operation at the abattoir, since the contractor will implement the project by phases.
Every day, there are 150 to 250 pigs that are slaughtered in the facility.
As for the demolition, the schedule has been put off because of the election ban earlier this year, he said.
Abadia said the residents in the area were from Cebu City but they transferred to the Mandaue side when demolitions were carried out in the 1990s.
Tony Pet Juanico, the City’s housing and home site regulation officer, said the structures near the abattoir are among the illegal structures that will be demolished soon.
He said the City hopes to start the demolition of illegal structures in November.
There are more than 100 households in the area, which is part of Barangay Subangdaku, he said.
“We are now complying with the requirements under Executive Order 708, such as the sending of notices to households and consultation meetings,” he told Sun.Star Cebu in a phone interview.
Juanico said the City is still making a master list of households to be affected by the demolitions.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on August 17, 2013.