OBO turns down Megawide’s request-A A +A
Wednesday, September 4, 2013
POOR workmanship on Megawide Construction Corp.’s soil protection structures caused the collapse of the perimeter wall beside its construction site in Barangay Apas, Cebu City last Aug. 24.
This was one of the findings of Cebu City’s Office of the Building Official (OBO), which investigated the incident that forced five families and 50 individuals renting spaces in the area to vacate their homes.
Representatives of Megawide went to City Hall yesterday and asked the OBO to lift the cease-and-desist order issued to them, but assistant building official Florante Catalan said they cannot do so yet.
“Based on the inspection conducted, the soil nailing that Megawide did is below standard and according to our consultant, it is due to poor workmanship. Gisamotan pa gyud sa saturated soil condition didto, mao tong nahagsa ang yuta (The soil condition aggravated the situation, that’s why it caved in),” he told Sun.Star Cebu.
Engineer Ariel dela Cruz, a consultant of Mayor Michael Rama, submitted his findings to OBO yesterday.
The construction of the BPO complex on the provincial lot at the Asiatown IT Park in Apas has been suspended since the cease-and-desist order was issued last Aug. 27. The project is a joint venture of the Provincial Government and Filinvest Land Inc.
In an interview yesterday, Catalan said Megawide submitted documents detailing the improvements and other soil protection measures they have undertaken since the mayor visited the site last week.
“They came here and they asked if the cease-and-desist order can be lifted already and I said not yet. We will lift it as soon as they complete the soil protection measures we required them to put up to ensure the safety of the people there,” he added.
Among other things, dela Cruz required Megawide to install bracing and shoring structures, which will hold the soil together and prevent another cave-in.
Megawide was also told to construct a permanent retaining wall to protect both the construction site and the residential area beside it.
“The areas affected must be temporarily backfilled to stabilize the collapsed area until all bracings and support are completely installed,” dela Cruz recommended.
Catalan said he will send an inspector to the site today to check the progress of the installation of corrective and mitigating measures.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on September 04, 2013.