Capitol allows firm to pitch project anew-A A +A
Saturday, September 7, 2013
THE firm that was supposed to build a waste-to-energy facility in the Balili property in Naga City, Cebu will be allowed to present the proposal to the Capitol, Gov. Hilario Davide III announced last Friday.
Generso Dungo, managing officer of Consortium of Waste Management Inc., will make a presentation before the Provincial Board (PB).
Legislators will then decide whether to authorize the governor, who chairs the Economic Enterprise Council (EEC), to push through with the project.
The EEC asked Provincial Legal Officer Orvi Ortega to study the firm’s bid documents before the presentation.
Vice Gov. Agnes Magpale said she learned during meetings with firm officials last year that they only need the governor’s signature to begin the project. She wants Ortega to verify this.
Negotiations for the project were almost finished when former governor Gwendolyn Garcia was suspended for six months for an administrative case not related to the Balili property.
The EEC will also ask an independent expert to explain the firm’s processes like using plasma gasification to generate energy from waste and anaerobic digestion in converting waste to energy.
Magpale, an EEC member, wants to know where the facility will be built if the project pushes through.
She said Balili is the subject of a criminal case filed against Garcia and some Capitol officials when it was discovered that part of the property is submerged.
Garcia posted bail, while the former provincial treasurer, former provincial engineer and former provincial budget officer involved in the purchase were dismissed from service.
The vice governor also learned that the firm offered to buy a lot in Danao City, right across the property of her relatives, after the Balili case was filed.
“Ang kana ra bang yutaa buhatan og subdivision (They plan to develop the property into a subdivision). I don’t think the residents there will like having a waste-to-energy plant across their place,” Magpale said.
The EEC also learned that there were three bidders for the project, but one was a bid failure.
Magpale wants Ortega to check if the two remaining bidders decided to merge and become Consortium of Waste Management Inc.
Last December, the PB deferred authorizing Garcia to sign a contract with Consortium of Waste Management Inc.
PB Member Alex Binghay had said they needed to amend the contract to incorporate Sinova Consortium.
Garcia had hoped the PB would approve the plan immediately so the firm could start building the facility at the Balili property.
Garcia had made a presentation on the Proposed Tina-an Eco-Zone Development Plan and a $150-million contract with Sinova Consortium.
She’d said Sinova would rent seven hectares of the Balili property and use another two hectares for a sanitary landfill.
Sinova was expected to pay P30 per square meter, or a monthly rent of P800,000.
Garcia had said the Province would receive a two-percent share from the gross revenue of the facility, or a projected P850 million in 25 years.
The waste-to-energy plant would be implemented in a build-operate-transfer scheme.
“After 25 years, we’ll own the facility which is situated in the Balili property,” she’d said.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on September 08, 2013.