‘Food poisoning’ downs 20 in Argao-A A +A
Sunday, September 8, 2013
CEBU -- At least 20 people, including children, were brought to Argao District Hospital last Thursday after reportedly eating some pasta prepared for a birthday celebration.
Inspector Alejandro Batobalonos, Argao town’s police chief, told Sun.Star Cebu that some of the patients were still recuperating in Isidro Kintanar Memorial District Hospital in Barangay Poblacion, as of Saturday.
He said they received the report Saturday and will investigate what caused the patients’ ailments.
“We will still have to talk with the doctors,” Batobalonos said.
Mayor Edsel Galeos said he tapped the help of doctors in the Rural Health Unit and Argao District Hospital to examine the victims.
“Atong gi-abagan ang kadtong mga wala gyud. Ang kadtong naa, sila na lang ang bahala sa ilang kaugalingon (We assisted the ones who have nothing. The others will have to fend for themselves),” Galeos said.
When the incident broke, Galeos was in Cebu City last Friday to attend the League of Municipalities-Cebu Chapter election. So, he tasked his municipal administrator to assist the patients in the district hospital.
The mayor also shouldered laboratory examinations in a private lab.
When the case was first reported, Galeos said he sought for the Provincial Capitol’s assistance, but, as of Saturday, he said the town can manage on its own.
According to a report from dyLA, the family of Rosalia Enriquez in Sitio Canohoy, Barangay Bulasa celebrated a birthday on Wednesday, and prepared macaroni salad and spaghetti. The family shared their food with their relatives and neighbors.
A day later, they were brought to the hospital after experiencing nausea, vomiting and abdominal cramps.
Apart from them, there were others who had already gone to Cebu City but also had to be brought to the hospital for the same symptoms.
Those who were admitted in Argao were Rosalia Enriquez, Vincent Enriquez, Rose Ann Enriquez, Greg Andrei Enriquez, and Alfranz Enriquez.
Some members of the family of Monica Naces, including Mylen Naces and Aljene Naces, were also admitted in the hospital.
Aside from them, Rosalinda Lipon, Jocelyn Lipon, Charles Lipon, Mylene Cueme, James Gomera, John Gomera, John Parba, Ayeza Bercede,
Clinton Bercede, and Nova Mae Marquez were also being treated.
“Luya pa daw ang uban pero safe na sila (Some are still weak, but already safe),” Batobalonos said.
Rosalia’s daughter Liezel was reportedly the one who prepared the food and suspected the poisoning came from a kilo of ketchup they bought from the market.
“Wala man naglain ilang lawas pagkaon sa salad, sa spaghetti raman (Those who ate the salad didn’t feel ill, but those who ate the spaghetti did),” Liezel told dyLA.
A food poisoning case recently happened in Barangay Poblacion, Alcoy last August, where two sisters died after eating canned meat. (With reports from DSM)
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on September 08, 2013.