Wake chokes traffic: citizen-A A +A
Monday, September 9, 2013
A WAKE held in a barangay chapel near the corner of S. Osmeña Blvd. and V. Sotto St. in Barangay Tinago, Cebu City is causing heavy traffic since it is occupies a huge portion of the two-lane road.
Motorists are already complaining as the traffic jam reportedly stretches two kilometers already.
“Normally, the traffic there is light to medium. It is only heavy during rush hour, but still it moves along and the traffic is no more than few meters. However, there had been several occasions already when the traffic is so heavy that it already reached Sugbutel and near SM City Cebu,” a concerned citizen, who requested anonymity, said.
The concerned citizen, who works in a business establishment in the North Reclamation Area, said the wake has obstructed almost one-third of the entire road.
“We respect and sympathize with the family and relatives of the departed who want to mourn their loved ones, but I think they should also consider the thousands of commuters, public utility vehicles and drivers who are very much inconvenienced by this set up,” he added.
Told about this, City Traffic Operations Management (Citom) Executive Director Rafael Yap sent personnel to the site to direct the possible transfer of the wake to avoid further traffic congestion.
In an interview with Sun.Star Cebu yesterday, Yap said Citom never granted any permits for wakes to be held on public roads or streets.
Asked if the City Government has a policy on the use of the city’s roads, Yap said it is covered under City Ordinance (CO) 2131.
Under the ordinance, a road can be closed for construction works or recreational activities, or other activities, including but not limited to fiesta celebrations, religious holidays or affairs, public rallies, agricultural or industrial fairs and live entertainment or shows.
Yap said the holding of wake is covered under the “other activities.”
However, a permit should be secured first before any city roads or streets will be used.
The ordinance, though, further provides that the city’s roads or streets should only be closed for not more than two days. A wake lasts for at least seven days.
Asked about this, Yap said the wake on the road near S. Osmeña Blvd. corner V. Sotto St. should be transferred to some place else.
Under the ordinance, those who violate its provisions will be fined P2,000 or imprisoned for one to six months or both at the discretion of the court.
If the violator chooses to pay the fine, he or she can pay a compromise penalty of P1,000.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on September 09, 2013.