Carcar City hires more job-order workers in 2012-A A +A
Thursday, September 19, 2013
STATE auditors called the attention of the Carcar City Government after noting that it hired more job-order workers last year.
The Commission on Audit (COA) auditors also found that some casual employees of the City Government were allowed to handle sensitive tasks, like having custody over public funds.
Carcar City Mayor Nicepuro Apura denied that some job-order workers were allowed to have custody over public funds. But he said some of them were given custody over City-owned equipment, particularly those who were assigned to the information technology department.
The COA found that Carcar’s job-order workers increased by 18.94 percent last year over 2011.
State Auditor Esperanza Obatay said Carcar City hired 270 job-order workers in 2012 while there were only 227 in 2011.
As of December 2012, these job-order contracts cost the City P18,473, 779.74, a big chunk of which went to the mayor’s office.
In 2012, the mayor’s office had 221 job-order workers whose employment cost P13,876,928.63. The previous year, the mayor’s office had 169 job-order workers, whose employment cost P10,718,256.48.
COA said the City violated a memorandum circular of the Civil Service Commission, which prohibits the designation of contractual employees to positions exercising control and disposition over regular and career personnel.
“While their contracts specifically stipulate that they were to do labor works in the assignment/area, they were actually acting as coordinators of some offices, divisions and departments of the City Government,” read the COA report.
Obatay and her team also noted that some job-order employees were given custody over city collections, maintenance of equipment and other functions, which is supposed to be done by regular and career employees.
But in a separate interview, Apura clarified that the issues raised by COA were already answered during the exit interview.
Apura denied that there was an increase in job order workers last year.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on September 19, 2013.