Airport bidding moved to Nov.-A A +A
Saturday, September 21, 2013
THE transportation department has set the bidding for the P17.5-billion Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA) project in November this year, giving bidders more time to prepare competitive proposals.
Department of Transportation and Communication (DOTC) spokesperson Migs Sagcal said the bids must be submitted on Nov. 15.
“We have been working hard to find the balance between government and private sector interests. This gives sufficient time for the bidders to finalize their proposals,” he said.
In the meantime, Cebu Gov. Hilario Davide III said he intends to continue the rehabilitation of the Camotes and Bantayan airports “in the right way.”
He discussed this during the MCIA board meeting last Sept. 19.
Cebu needs a larger terminal in Mactan and more ways for tourists to reach the island’s attractions, as tourism continues to grow.
The DOTC said it will seek the approval of the National Economic Development Authority (Neda) to make certain changes in the Mactan terminal project’s terms, such as extending the concession period from 20 years to 25 years.
The agency is also proposing the transfer of the liability for the payment of certain real property taxes to government.
These changes were prompted mainly by the results of the one-on-one meetings by the transport agency’s Special Bids and Awards Committee (SBAC) over the past few months, Sagcal said.
Based on the participation of all seven pre-qualified groups in the one-on-one meetings, the transport agency anticipates that the bid proposals will be more
At the same time, Sagcal said that the injunction case filed by a certain Danilo Cruz in connection with this project has been dismissed. Filed last month, Cruz’s petition questioned the conduct of the one-on-one meetings and sought to halt the bidding process on that ground.
According to the Office of the Solicitor General (OSG), which acted as legal counsel for the transport department in that case, the Regional Trial Court of Mandaluyong City dismissed the suit due to lack of jurisdiction.
“That only goes to show that this was yet another baseless petition against us. As we have said time and again, the DOTC is committed to conducting an open, fair, and transparent bidding process, fully within the bounds of law,” Sagcal said.
For his part, Governor Davide said he will discuss with the Provincial Board another possible request to the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines, to push through with the Camotes and Bantayan airports.
Davide said the rehabilitation and improvement of these two airports were discussed during last Thursday’s MCIA board meeting.
The governor said they also discussed the P17.5-billion expansion project for the MCIA.
“Hopefully, in the second week of November they will start the bidding process,” said the governor.
Vice Gov. Agnes Magpale told Sun.Star Cebu that the approval of the two airport projects in the previous administration and its awarding to the contractor did not have legislators’ authority, and the project plan is not approved by the CAAP.
The Capitol allocated P25 million for work on each airport in 2012.
The contract amount for Sta. Fe airport in Bantayan is P76.03 million, while for the San Francisco Airport in Camotes Island, it is P70.908 million. Sargasso Construction and Development Corp. is the contractor of both projects.
When Magpale assumed as acting governor, it was found out that Sargasso sought payment of P10 million for initial work done on the Camotes airport.
The Camotes airport project includes a 1.2-km. runway, a hangar and a passenger terminal.
Rep. Benhur Salimbangon (Cebu Province, fourth district) is hopeful that Davide will continue the major improvements started by former governor Gwendolyn Garcia on the two airports.
He said development of the airport in his district will definitely spur development in the island of Bantayan, now a tourist destination. (SDR/Sunnex)
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on September 21, 2013.