Cebu City’s P231-M projects stalled-A A +A
Saturday, September 28, 2013
CEBU CITY -- The year is almost ending but the City Department of Engineering and Public Works (DEPW) has not yet implemented some P230.8 million worth of projects that are funded under the City Government’s P5.19 billion budget this year.
DEPW’s acting assistant department head, Engr. Joel Reston, said there are P80 million worth of projects under the annual budget and more than P150.8 million worth of projects out of the P200-million Annual Investment Plan (AIP) in 2013 that have not yet been implemented.
The AIP contains programs and projects that are funded by the local development fund, which accounts for 20 percent of the Internal Revenue Allotment. It includes projects on economic and social development, as well as environmental management.
The projects that have yet to be implemented include the construction of drainage systems, road concreting and construction of multi-purpose buildings, among others.
In a news conference on Friday, Reston said the DEPW is still preparing the program of works and estimates (Powe) of the projects. He said there are delays in the Powe preparation considering that DEPW lacks personnel.
At present, Reston said they only have one architect and three engineers who prepare the Powe for both City-funded and barangay projects.
“Kuwang gyud mi (We don’t have enough people),” he said.
Reston said DEPW head Engr. Kenneth Enriquez is already asking for a budget next year for the hiring of more engineers.
Aside from the 2013 projects, DEPW’s record shows that there are more than P34 million worth of projects in 2010, whose Powe is still being prepared. There are P47 million worth of projects in 2011 and P316 million in 2012 that are in the same situation.
In 2012, the Commission on Audit (COA) called the attention of the city for its failure to implement more than P468 million worth of projects.
These included the construction of multi-purpose halls, day care centers and sports complexes, and construction and improvement of hospitals and health centers, among others.
The non-implementation of various projects, COA had said, hampered the delivery of basic services and deprived the constituents of benefits.
But while there were projects that have not yet been implemented, DEPW reported that they have completed P1.1 billion worth of infrastructure projects this year.
Of the amount, P297 million projects were funded in 2010 yet; P446.9 million from 2011; and P361.7 million in 2012.
Some P570 million worth of projects, on the other hand, are already in the bidding stage. They are also funded under the city’s budget from the past three years.
DEPW reported, though, that there are more than P68 million worth of projects in the past three years whose implementation will be deferred.
Reston explained these are projects, including the construction of buildings, which are tied up since these will be implemented on private lots.
He said the city is still negotiating with the lot owners.
Meanwhile, the Office of the Building Official (OBO) has generated more than P23.2 million in earnings in the first six months of the year.
The amount is higher compared to their P13.9 million income last year.
OBO assistant chief Florante Catalan said their office’s income has increased after they implemented the computerized processing system for building permits.
Both OBO and DEPW presented Friday their accomplishments in the first half of the year. (Sun.Star Cebu)
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on September 28, 2013.