Fire damages pharmacy in Mandaue’s old market-A A +A
Monday, September 30, 2013
AN EARLY morning fire razed the stockroom of a pharmacy located across a gas station in a busy commercial area in Barangay Mantuyong, Mandaue City yesterday.
No one was injured in the blaze, which took firefighters 20 minutes to put out.
FO2 Edgar Vergara of the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP)-Mandaue City said the fire broke out past 7 a.m. in the stockroom of 360 Pharmacy, located at the corner of A. del Rosario St. and B. Ceniza St.
Vergara said combustible materials placed on top of a generator set inside the stockroom caught fire.
“It was caused by spontaneous combustion,” he told Sun.Star Cebu.
He said the running generator may have ignited the fire.
Three employees, including the security guard, were on duty when the fire occurred.
Vergara said turning on the generator on Sunday morning has been a routine of the pharmacy workers.
Fire investigators estimated the cost of damage at P20,000.
the Chinese Filipino Fire Brigade, Emergency Rescue Unit Foundation, Accident Control and Emergency Rescue Team, and fire volunteers from Barangay Tipolo responded to the fire.
Firefighters had to break a glass window to let the smoke out and to reach the flames.
Employees Alita Flor and Gretchen Alferez and security guard Romuldo Signe opened the pharmacy at 6 a.m. The generator had been running for five minutes when they noticed the fire.
The pharmacy, owned by Lucio Co, is located across the Shell Gas Station. Vergara said generators should be placed outside the establishment.
The pharmacy workers said they put the generator inside for fear it will be stolen outside.
Vergara said combustible materials like diapers were piled in the stockroom where the generator was placed.
Under the law, establishments with generators are required to install an automatic fire suppression system.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on September 30, 2013.