Far from Zamboanga, girl continues to hear gunshots-A A +A
Wednesday, October 2, 2013
SHEEANNE Kyle Angeles and her cousins ran inside the house of a relative in Barangay Punta Princesa, Cebu City after they heard firework explosions two nights ago.
The 5-year-old girl looked scared while older relatives laughed at her, said her mother Jennifer.
“Hala, andito ang mga bala. Tago tayo lahat baka matamaan tayo (The bullets are coming, let’s hide),” said Sheeanne, as quoted by Jennifer.
She thought government forces were fighting the Nur Misuari faction of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) in the area that time.
“Na-trauma talaga siya (She’s in trauma),” said her father, Aristotle.
He said they comforted his daughter by letting her watch cartoons and play games in his phone.
The Angeles family was one of the families that arrived in Cebu City last week to escape the gunfight in Zamboanga City. They are from Barangay Talon-Talon, Zamboanga City.
But Sheeanne told her parents she wanted to go home because she already missed her classmates and her sibling, Mikel Adrianne, who was left with her grandparents in Upper Calarian, which is far from the fighting.
Aristotle said he and his wife fear they would lose their jobs as sale clerks if they couldn’t to report to work this week.
Yesterday afternoon, Jennifer sent a package to his employer. It contains news clippings and a picture of her family with Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama to prove they have not yet arrived in Zamboanga City.
Like his granddaughter, Efren Angeles, 66, said there were times when he is jolted from sleep. He said he hears gunshots.
“Mahirap pa rin matulog (It’s difficult to sleep),” he said.
Efren, a businessman, said his relative was shot dead last Sept. 9, the first day the rebels invaded Zamboanga City.
His family stayed inside his house for seven days and he found several slugs of .50 caliber sniper rifle. No one from his family was hit.
The military forced them to leave Talon-Talon last Sept. 17.
Efren’s family together with other 12 families rode a truck and went to Zamboanga Sibugay.
Last Sept. 18, they arrived in Dipolog City, Zamboanga del Norte and boarded a ship for Cebu. They arrived at his relative’s house in Punta Princesa on the same day.
Efren said he want to go back to Talon-Talon, repair his bullet-riddled house and start a new life. He is still waiting for his sister to call.
It was the first time, he said, he experienced armed clash between the military and the MNLF.
“Wala kaming hanapbuhay dito (Cebu City). Gusto na na ming umuwi medyo kalmado na man doon eh (We don’t have work here. We want to home now. It’s peaceful there now),” he said.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on October 02, 2013.