Cebu City completes financial distribution-A A +A
Saturday, October 5, 2013
SOME 60,000 senior citizens received their P2,000-financial assistance from the Cebu City Government on Saturday.
“Almost all senior citizens who went to our distribution centers were all served,” said City Administrator lawyer Jose Marie Poblete.
Poblete was tasked by Mayor Michael Rama to oversee the two-day distribution. He said the distribution went well, because of the process they adopted.
In Barangay Guadalupe, more than 4,000 senior citizens got the cash aid.
Being in a wheelchair didn’t stop 93-year-old Magin Velez from personally claiming the amount at the Guadalupe Elementary School. He was accompanied by his daughter-in-law Liza.
“Nianhi gyod siya kay nakabasa siya sa newspaper nga duna nay distribution (He came here when he read about the cash distribution in the paper),” Liza said.
Retired and former Department of Tourism undersecretary Phineas Alburo and his wife Lydia were among the claimants.
“We went here early, aron kung naay problema masulbad ra sab dayon (so if a problem arose it would be solved immediately),” he said.
Last year, he said, their names were not on the master list so they went to the Guadalupe Elementary School to check.
Department of Public Services (DPS) Chief Dionisio Gualiza, who was in charge of the distribution in the barangay, said some seniors were at the venue as early as 6 a.m.
“Sayu kaayo sila kay excited sila makadawat sa ilang kwarta (They came early because they were excited to receive the money),” Gualiza said.
He said they encountered a few glitches during the distribution.
“Dunay mga naglibog sa ilang mga (Some had a problem with their) numbers but our DPS staffs attended (to) their concerns, so these were addressed immediately,” Gualiza said.
Guadalupe, being the biggest barangay of Cebu City, has the largest population of senior citizens.
The cash distribution in other barangays in the south district also went well.
Prevention Restoration Order Beautification and Enhancement Chief Raquel Arce, who was in charge in Barangay Cogon Pardo, said everything went smoothly.
“Akong gi-istoryahan ang mga barangay officials ug ang mga kandidato nga di na lang mag apil-apil (I asked incumbent barangay officials and candidates in the elections not to interfere),” Arce said in a text message sent to Sun.Star Cebu.
Aspiring candidates like former barangay captain Eugenio “Jing-jing” Faelnar and two councilors from his slate were present during the distribution in Guadalupe.
Earlier, Mayor Rama said he would not stop anyone, including those who are running in the barangay elections on Oct. 28, from helping in the distribution as long they didn’t cause any trouble.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on October 05, 2013.