Cebu village chief’s son tied to masiao-A A +A
Wednesday, October 9, 2013
THE eldest son of a village chief in Suba, Cebu City who is allegedly a general coordinator of an illegal numbers game was arrested by the police inside their house in an operation last Monday night.
Seized from Niño “Boy” Resurreccion, 30, were assorted gambling paraphernalia and almost P43,000 cash, believed to be proceeds from masiao.
The Police Regional Office (PRO) in Central Visayas will consult with their legal services on what legal action to take against the suspect’s father, Rogelio Resurreccion, for allegedly protecting his son.
The operation by the City Intelligence Branch (CIB) of the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) took place at 9 p.m. on Abellana St., where a police decoy bought five number combinations for P50.
When the transaction ended, the police rushed to the house and took the younger Resurreccion into custody immediately.
Chief Inspector Romeo Santander, head of CIB, said Niño is part of their watch list of suspected personalities involved in masiao.
He said they conducted the operation after receiving complaints from concerned citizens that masiao had become rampant in the barangay.
P100,000 a day
Santander alleged that Niño remits his proceeds to Randy Boliboli, a suspected big-time masiao financier who was arrested by authorities last week.
The proceeds would reportedly reach P100,000 a day, depending on the number of bettors. A general coordinator, Santander said, comes after the financier in the illegal operation’s hierarchy.
Niño, in an interview with Sun.Star Cebu, admitted he was involved in the illegal numbers game for less than a year.
“Wala man ko’y trabaho. Di sad ko ganahan magsalig sa akong papa (I don’t have a job and don’t want to depend on my father),” he said inside the office of CIB on Tuesday.
His father knew of his illegal activity and had been telling him to stop, he said.
“Basta wala gyu’y labot akong papa ani. Ako ra gyud ning binuhatan (My father has nothing to do with this; I was the only one involved),” Niño said. He admitted depositing the proceeds with Boliboli, but said these were small amounts.
“Dili na tinuod nga coordinator ko. Ginagmay ra ni akoa (It’s not true that I’m a coordinator; my deals are small),” Niño said.
Senior Superintendent Edward Carranza, chief of PRO’s regional directorial staff, said they will take legal action against Niño’s father.
“We will consult with the legal services and city fiscal since the crime happened inside his house,” he told reporters.
Carranza said they will also furnish the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) with a copy of their research as basis for possible administrative cases against Rogelio.
According to him, Boliboli was reportedly the one financing Niño’s part in the illegal numbers game. “This would only mean he has not stopped,” Carranza said.
Boliboli and 10 of his alleged workers were arrested last September 30 during a raid in two of his houses in Barangay Pasil, Cebu City. They were released from custody days later after posting bail.
Police will file complaints against Niño for violating Republic Act 9287, which increased the penalties for illegal numbers games.
Rogelio, in a separate interview, said he didn’t consent to his son’s alleged involvement in masiao. Niño is the eldest in a brood of five.
“Kapila nako siya gibadlong. Pero di man mopatuo (I repeatedly told him to stop but he was stubborn),” the barangay captain said. He said Niño sleeps in their house but goes out to tend to his illegal activity.
When the operation was done, Rogelio said he was at the barangay hall having a session and didn’t intervene with the police.
“Bisan pa gidakop akong anak, wala ko nibiya kay naa sad ko’y trabaho (I had a job to attend to),” he said. Niño, who didn’t finish his studies, was supposed to apply for a job at City Hall.
Rogelio appealed to the public not to hold his son’s arrest against him and the rest of his family.
“Tayming ra kaayo (The timing is questionable),” he said, adding this is one way of tarnishing his image as he is running for barangay captain again in Suba.
For the past eight months this year, a crime report from PRO showed that only 21 out of 59 barangays in Cebu City were affected by illegal gambling.
From their 247 target personalities, about 211 have been arrested, or 87.5 percent.
From the number, 157 were coordinators, two were runners, 45 were ushers and seven were bettors, and cases have been filed against them. (Sun.Star Cebu)
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on October 09, 2013.