Suba chief’s son charged, faces court hearings-A A +A
Thursday, October 10, 2013
FOR allegedly operating an illegal numbers game, the eldest son of a village chief in Cebu City will face trial.
This after the City Prosecutor’s Office charged Niño “Boy” Resurreccion, 30, with violating Republic Act (RA) 9287, which penalizes all forms of “gambling activity (that) use numbers or combinations as factors in giving out jackpots.”
The son of Barangay Suba Captain Rogelio Resurreccion gained temporary freedom after he posted P12,000 as bail yesterday.
Niño’s case was resolved, after he opted naot to avail himself of his right to preliminary investigation during inquest proceeding last Tuesday.
An inquest is a summary inquiry that is meant to check if the warrantless arrest of a person can be justified by probable cause, while preliminary investigation “is an inquiry or proceeding to determine whether there is sufficient ground to engender a well-founded belief that a crime has been committed and the respondent is probably guilty thereof, and should be held for trial.”
Chief Insp. Romeo Santander pointed out that the arrest of Resurreccion last Monday night by the operatives of the City Intelligence Branch (CIB) was not politically motivated.
“It is far from reality,” he said. “Even the City Mayor (Michael Rama) himself made a marching order on (curbing) illegal gambling and illegal drugs.”
Santander, the CIB chief, said the accused was identified as the general coordinator of masiao in Suba during their surveillance.
“Records show that even before the May elections, we had already a series of anti-illegal gambling operations,” he said. “It didn’t stop until now.”
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on October 10, 2013.