Cardinal Vidal hospitalized for a week-A A +A
Saturday, October 12, 2013
CEBU Archbishop Eme-ritus Ricardo Cardinal Vidal was released from the Perpetual Succour Hospital yesterday.
Vidal was confined there since last week after he complained of chest pains.
His secretary, Fr. Jojo de Aquino, clarified that the retired prelate’s current condition is caused by “withdrawal symptoms” after his doctors ordered him to discontinue medication he had been taking since he suffered a mild stroke last month.
In a phone interview, de Aquino said Vidal was supposed to undergo another CT scan last week when he suddenly complained of chest pains while resting in his retirement home in Barangay Banilad, Cebu City.
De Aquino said that while doctors found nothing wrong with Vidal, they advised him to take his usual maintenance medicines.
Doctors also advised Vidal to rest and to avoid travel.
Last Sept. 17, Vidal was rushed to the hospital after his speech suddenly slurred and his face began to contort while having lunch at home.
Due to his current condition, Vidal’s travel plans to Rome to attend to activities have been hold.
Vidal had planned to attend the blessing of a mosaic of St. Pedro Calungsod at St. Peter’s Basilica at the Vatican City.
He also hopes to attend canonizations of Popes John Paul II and John XXIII.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on October 12, 2013.