Mayor to veto measure affecting village facility-A A +A
Saturday, October 12, 2013
ANOTHER City Council resolution earned the ire of City Mayor Michael Rama.
The City Council passed an ordinance allowing the Punta Princesa Manggahan Homeowners’ Association to manage the covered court in Sitio Manggahan in Punta Princesa.
Even before seeing a copy of the ordinance, the mayor said he will veto it.
“Of course, I will veto it. Why would we provide basis for the filing of a case? We can switch places, they can be mayor and I can be councilor),” said Rama.
The mayor questioned the propriety of allowing a private entity to manage a public property, like the covered court that the Cebu City Government will finance.
Rama’s four allies in the council voted against the passing of the ordinance but they were outnumbered during the final deliberation by the 14 councilors who are members of the Bando Osmeña Pundok Kauswagan (BOPK).
Councilors who opposed the measure explained their votes.
“I believe this is a Cebu City-owned property and cannot be assigned to private entities who are not accountable,” said Councilors Hans Abella, a lawyer.
“Majority of the members here were formerly barangay chairmen and this is clearly contrary to law,” said Councilor Dave Tumulak.
At least nine members of the council were barangay captains.
Councilors Mary Ann de los Santos and James Cuenco also voted against the ordinance.
Earlier, Councilor Gerardo Carillo said the ordinance is in consonance with existing provisions of the law on subdivision, wherein the homeowners’ association is made to manage the open spaces in the subdivision.
Carillo co-authored the ordinance with Councilor Eugenio Gabuya Jr. Both are members of BOPK.
The mayor and the council have often been at odds.
Last year, the council adopted a resolution telling the mayor to “uphold and respect” the decision of the Supreme Court ordering City Hall to pay the heirs of Fr. Vicente Rallos P133 million for use of a road lot in Barangay Sambag II.
The City Government obtained a writ of preliminary injunction from the Court of Appeals, preventing the garnishment of the City Government's funds and removing encumbrances on its properties.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on October 12, 2013.