Classes in Cebu suspended until Friday amid tremors-A A +A
Thursday, October 17, 2013
CLASSES at all levels in private and public schools in the cities of Cebu and Talisay and in the entire Cebu Province remain suspended until Friday.
But teachers were instructed to report to the schools so that they can coordinate with local government engineers in assessing the damage caused by the earthquake on their classrooms and other facilities.
Separate announcements were made yesterday by Department of Education (DepEd) Cebu Province Division superintendent Arden Monisit, Talisay City Schools Division Superintendent Woodrow Denuyo and Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama.
In Lapu-Lapu, City Schools Division Superintendent Eduardo Ompad said classes in all levels in public schools are also still suspended.
While it administrators of private schools have the discretion, he urged them to suspend classes as well.
DepEd 7 Director Carmelita Dulangon earlier said classes should be suspended until Friday if possible.
If facilities in the schools are declared safe, classes can resume on Monday.
“If the classrooms have been declared safe for the children and if the parents agree, then the school officials can resume classes,” said Dulangon.
After the DepEd Cebu City Division suspended classes in all public schools until Friday, Mayor Rama urged private schools to do the same.
In a command conference yesterday, the mayor said he also hoped that private schools, including universities and colleges, have checked the structural integrity of their facilities before resuming classes.
The Cebu City Department of Engineering and Public Works (DEPW) and the Local School Board (LSB) are inspecting public schools for damage.
DEPW chief engineer Kenneth Enriquez yesterday said her team has inspected five public schools so far and found them to be safe.
These schools are Regino Mercado Elementary School, Bulacao Elementary School, Busay Elementary School, Busay National High School and Abellana National High School.
The engineers from the LSB, on the other hand, inspected seven public schools.
The inspection teams reported to the mayor that one building of Punta Princesa Elementary School is unsafe because its parapet appears unstable.
The topmost floors of a four-storey building at Tisa II Elementary School, a three-storey building at Don Sergio Osmeña Sr. Memorial School and Labangon Bliss Elementary School have been declared unsafe.
Cracks were seen in some of buildings at Tisa I Elementary School and the Ramon Duterte Memorial Day High School.
Classrooms for grades 3 and 2, the science room and administration building at Labangon Elementary School have huge cracks, which affect their structural integrity.
The LSB engineers recommended that the rooms and buildings be abandoned pending repairs.
Rama has instructed the DEPW and the LSB to continue conducting inspections in all public schools to determine if classes can already resume Monday.
In Talisay City, Denuyo said nine classrooms at the Bulacao National High School can no longer be used. There are also damaged classrooms in public schools in Barangays Cansojong, Pooc and Biasong.
Denuyo said classes can take turns using the functional classrooms at Bulacao National High School.
He said he asked Talisay City Mayor Johnny de los Reyes for help in repairing the classrooms.
Universities and colleges in Cebu City also suspended classes yesterday.
In its Facebook page, the University of San Jose-Recoletos (USJ-R) suspended elementary and high school classes until Monday. There will be no classes for elementary and high school at its campus in Balamban because of a Boy Scouts jamboree.
Examinations for USJ-R's law school resumes today.
Officials of the University of Cebu (UC) also confirmed that classes in all levels will resume Monday yet.
The Cebu Institute of Technology University (CIT-U suspended classes indefinitely to allow engineers to assess the stability of its facilities.
The University of the Philippines- Visayas Cebu Campus (UPVCC) Dean Lisa Corro, on the other hand, said in memorandum that the school sustained superficial damage due to the earthquake.
Corro said a structural engineer will make a rapid assessment of their buildings today.
UPVCC officials will give new room assignments for examinations scheduled tomorrow until Friday.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on October 17, 2013.