Chong Hua gives City funds to address quake effects-A A +A
Friday, October 25, 2013
CHONG HUA HOSPITAL donated P1 million to help the Cebu City Government address the effects of the 7.2-magnitude earthquake on Oct. 15.
City Hall plans to use the amount for the construction of a new Cebu City Medical Center (CCMC) because the existing hospital building has been declared unsafe by engineers after the earthquake.
Patients have been moved out of CCMC and are temporarily housed at the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) 7 offices across the street on N. Bacalso Ave., Cebu City.
Early this week, Rama sent a letter to the Department of Interior and Local Government to ask that BFP 7 be made to vacate its offices.
The BFP 7 earlier refused to vacate the building.
Meanwhile, Supreme Court Administrator Midas Marquez yesterday met with Rama and asked for help in finding a place that can be converted into temporary courtrooms and local offices of the judiciary.
The Palace of Justice in Cebu City was also declared unsafe after the earthquake.
Lim Liu, president of the Asociacion Benevola de Cebu Inc., owner of Chong Hua, said the P1 million is part of the hospital’s corporate social responsibility program.
“In a crisis of such scale, Chong Hua Hospital cannot help but feel compelled by its socio-civic conscience to respond to this great need by offering cash donation,” he said.
The amount was turned over by the Liu and other hospital officials to Mayor Michael Rama Wednesday afternoon.
“It is our hope that we will not only assist in community rebuilding and rehabilitation, but also send a message of hope and empathy to the victims,” Liu said.
Chong Hua is the second entity that gave financial assistance to the City following the earthquake. Last week, SM Prime Holdings Inc. turned over P5 million, which will also be used build a new city hospital.
The City Government plans to build a 1,000-bed hospital and expects to spend P1 billion to P1.5 billion for the project.
City Hall recently launched a fund-raising campaign, “Piso Mo, Hospital Ko,” for the project.
City Public Information Officer Carlo Dugaduga said City Hall started its barangay caravan last week to get donations for the project.
The barangays visited so far are Labangon, Tisa, Punta Princesa and Inayawan.
The City Government also placed donation boxes in 10 City-operated public markets.
Dugaduga said the fund-raising will continue until enough funds have been raised.
At the Marcelo Fernan Palace of Justice, Marquez and some judges inspected the building to assess the damage caused by the earthquake.
The SC agreed to transfer court personnel and judges to temporary offices.
“We don't want any of our judges and court personnel to be at risk,” Marquez told reporters yesterday.
The SC has allocated funds for the rehabilitation and repair of the building. But since it has been damaged by the earthquake, Marquez said the judiciary will reassess the building to determine if more funds are needed.
After the earthquake, judges and their staff have been holding offices in tents placed at the parking lot. Court personnel continue to receive pleadings but no hearings were conducted.
Personnel of the city and provincial prosecutors' office are temporarily occupying the ground floor of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines building, which is also inside the Capitol premises.
Cebu Provincial Prosecutor Jane Petralba said prosecutors might hold temporary office on the second floor of the IBP building until further notice from the Department of Justice.
Court personnel started packing court records last Wednesday. The records, some placed in sacks, are piled at the hallway of the Palace of Justice.
Rama had identified the Cebu Eastern College as a potential site. But he said the Supreme Court can also buy lots at the South Road Properties, particularly near the lot donated by the City to the Court of Appeals.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on October 25, 2013.