JVR orders cutdown on casuals-A A +A
Friday, October 25, 2013
TALISAY City Mayor Johnny V. de los Reyes (JVR) has reduced the quota for councilors to hire job-order employees.
De los Reyes’s order issued last Monday, which will take effect on Nov. 1, will cover all city councilors, including those allied with him.
From 50, the number of job-order workers for city councilors is now limited to 30.
The order came after Talisay City Administrator John Yre de los Reyes, the mayor’s son, got offended by the move of the City Council to declare a state of calamity without any sanction from the mayor.
The mayor’s order was reportedly aimed at saving money so that there will be enough funds to spend following last week’s magnitude 7.2 earthquake, which was used by the council as basis in declaring the city under the state of calamity.
But, a city councilor under the opposition majority bloc said that the order may affect the passage of next year’s P630-million annual budget and the proposed P28-million supplemental budget for the last quarter of this year.
Councilor Dennis Basillote told Sun.Star Cebu that he disagreed with the mayor’s order, as the council is expected to tackle the proposed P28-million supplemental budget after the Oct. 28 barangay elections.
Basillote said the supplemental budget is mainly for the honorarium of the city’s job-order workers for the months of November and December.
In a separate interview, Councilor Aldin Diaz, an ally of the mayor, said that the order has put him and the other councilors in a complicated situation, particularly to their supporters.
“Nakasaad naman gud mi sa among leaders ug supporters nga iapil namo sila sa among quota (We already assured our leaders and supporters that we will include them in our quota),” Diaz said.
For Vice Mayor Romeo Villarante, the executive department should have consulted with the council first before issuing the order.
He hopes that the mayor and the council will sit down and discuss the matter to come up with a win-win solution.
But, the younger de los Reyes appealed to Basillote and other Alayon councilors to understand the situation of the city, which has been hit by three calamities this year.
Aside from the earthquake last week, the city spent funds for fishermen who were affected by an oil spill after the m/v St. Thomas Aquinas sank off the coast of Barangay Tanke last August.
It also released funds after more than 300 residents from three coastal barangays were hit by huge waves earlier this month.
John Yre also pointed out that the Office of the Mayor is not spared by the order.
They hope to reduce the current job-order employees from 1,800 to 1,400.
He also denied insinuations that the order was issued to spite Villarante and the council for declaring a state of calamity without the mayor’s approval.
“(Public) service ni, not showbiz,” he said.
He said that while a “clash of ideas” is often usual between him and Villarante, he still maintains a good relationship with the vice mayor.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on October 25, 2013.