Quake displaces 240 families-A A +A
Sunday, October 27, 2013
SOME 240 families in two southern towns in Cebu were displaced after their houses were damaged when the 7.2 magnitude earthquake hit Cebu and Bohol last Oct. 15.
In Boljoon town, some 42 families were evacuated after their houses and motor boats were damaged.
Charesma Pelone, Boljoon Municipal Social Welfare and Development officer, said the families mostly affected are those living in the coastal area like Barangay Poblacion.
A house in Barangay Poblacion was destroyed, while 17 were damaged.
Three houses were damaged in the other barangays.
Pelone said some families moved in with their relatives, while the others went back to their houses and made repairs.
She said most of the houses were made of light materials.
Pelone said that the municipality initially planned to give P2,000 assistance to each affected family.
In Dalaguete town, Mayor Ronald Allan Cesante said 199 houses were damaged and three were destroyed after the quake.
Cesante said the residents moved in with their relatives for the meantime.
He said the pipelines of their water system were damaged after a landslide occurred during the earthquake.
A proposed budget of P500,000 was submitted for the water system repair.
Cesante said the water service came back last Thursday night.
The Cebu Provincial Capitol received a total of P7,002,000 in cash and goods from private institutions and a local government unit for the victims.
Last week, SM Prime Holdings Inc. president Hans Sy handed over the company’s assistance of P5 million to Gov. Hilario Davide.
Based on the Cash Receipts Division records, Chong Hua Hospital through Asociacion Benevola De Cebu Inc. donated P1 million.
The Sacred Heart Men’s Association Inc. also gave P500,000 through its president, Francisco Benedicto.
Another P500,000 was given by the Provincial Government of Albay.
The family of a Capitol employee, which was recorded only as Bajenting family, also gave P2,000.
Provincial Treasurer Emmanuel Guial said all the cash assistance given is placed under the Capitol’s trust funds.
Davide together with the officials of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council met to determine the cost of repair of the buildings owned by the Capitol and the beneficiaries of the assistance.
Earlier, the Capitol promised to extend help to the local government units, which were affected by the quake.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on October 27, 2013.