Cemeteries not spared by last month’s quake-A A +A
Thursday, October 31, 2013
SAGBAYAN, BOHOL--Cristo Rey Divino visited the grave of his grandfather in a private cemetery in Barangay San Ramon yesterday afternoon.
Before he went to the interior portion, he saw damaged roofs and tombs. He also saw skeletons and parts of decaying corpses. His grandfather’s tomb was also destroyed, exposing the coffin.
“It was very shocking,” said Divino, who was accompanied by his uncle Floriano Algabre.
He lighted a candle and placed it on the tomb of his grandfather Antonio, who died last year at 73.
Municipal Administrator RJ Suarez said over 20 tombs in San Ramon were destroyed by the 7.2 magnitude earthquake last Oct. 15.
The quake also destroyed over 100 tombs in a public cemetery in Barangay San Vicente Norte, he said.
In a separate interview, Sagbayan Mayor Ricardo Suarez said he has not yet decided what to do with the public cemetery because the town’s engineer and health officer are still assessing it.
But most of the destroyed tombs contain skeletons, according to the initial report given to him.
“They are not risky anymore unless they are newly buried corpses,” he said.
He said he is glad that power in 24 barangays has been restored by the Bohol Electric Cooperative 1, in time for the observance of All Saints’ Day and All Souls’ Day.
But the towns of Antequera, Calape, Catigbian, and Loon, however, continue to have no power, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council.
The mayor said they continue to have problems with the water supply because the quake destroyed water pipelines and damaged the water reservoir, which has yet to be repaired.
Residents get their daily supply of water from deep wells and artesian wells.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on October 31, 2013.