Not all political names get lucky in barangay polls-A A +A
Saturday, November 2, 2013
SOME relatives of influential politicians in Cebu Province did not make it during the last barangay elections, according to the Commission on Elections (Comelec) records.
Vice Gov. Agnes Magpale said that former Danao City mayor Jesus “Don” Durano lost to retired basketball player Calvin Tuadles by just 15 votes in the race for village chief in Barangay Poblacion, Danao City. Tuadles replaces Durano’s son, Ramon “Monching” Durano.
In Tabogon town, the son of a congressman, the wife of the mayor and vice mayor all lost to incumbent officials.
Municipal Election Officer Leo Monterola of Tabogon town said Francis Salimbangon, son of Rep. Benhur Salimbangon (Cebu Province, 4th district) lost to Taba-ao Barangay Captain Divina Puyop in the race for the top post.
Monterola also said that Gloria Duterte, wife of Tabogon Mayor Siegfred Duterte, lost to Barangay Kagawad Trinidad Manluluyo in the race for village chief in Barangay Poblacion.
Darwin Ybañez, who is in his third term as village chief, ran for barangay kagawad.
Darna Arpon, the wife of Vice Mayor Leonardo Arpon, tried but failed to get the majority votes for Tapul barangay captain.
Tapul Barangay Captain Teresita Lechido received a fresh mandate.
In Pinamungajan town, Association of Barangay Councils (ABC) president Jeffrey Yapha lost his re-election bid for barangay captain of Poblacion to Jesse Managaytay, an incumbent barangay councilor, said Mayor Glen Baricuatro.
In Minglanilla, former town mayor Marlo Cañada, who ran last May but lost to Mayor Elenito Peña, ran for village chief in Barangay Tulay.
But he lost to incumbent Barangay Captain Romulus “Mulot” Laput.
Meanwhile, in Cebu City, Cebu Archbishop Emeritus Ricardo Cardinal Vidal yesterday said that he felt pity for Fr. Oscar Banzon after he was suspended for running and winning as barangay captain of Kawit, Medellin town, northern Cebu.
Vidal said he pitied Banzon because despite his victory, he still is not allowed to perform priestly duties, as his suspension remains.
Interviewed over radio dyMF yesterday, Vidal said that when he was still archbishop of Cebu, he often talked with Banzon over some allegations thrown against him.
Vidal did not divulge any details, but he said Banzon’s attention was called after he was reported to have been seeing “someone” in his last assignment.
Despite that, though, Vidal said he still respects Banzon even after hearing that he had pushed through with his candidacy.
Sun.Star Cebu tried to call Banzon for his comment, but all calls to his mobile phone were left unanswered.
Banzon was suspended by Cebu Archbishop Jose Palma after he filed his certificate of candidacy for village chief last October.
Palma had warned the priest against his plan as it prohibited in the Canon Law.
Vidal was in the Carreta Catholic Cemetery yesterday to visit the graves of his parents and sister.
He told reporters that he had offered three masses not only for the souls of his departed family members, but also for the dead who have no loved ones to visit.
Vidal also prayed for those who died or were hurt during the 7.2-magnitude earthquake that hit Cebu and Bohol last month.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on November 03, 2013.