‘Strange things’ happening at Ponce house-A A +A
Saturday, November 2, 2013
IN OCTOBER 2011, ultra-marathon runner Melinda Ponce, her three kids and a house help were shot dead by her husband, Emmanuel, inside their house in Barangay Tabunok, Talisay City.
After shooting his wife, children and maid, Emmanuel turned the gun on himself. Only Embrelaine, the couple’s youngest daughter, survived the massacre.
The crime shocked their neighbors.
Two years later, people living near the old Ponce house in Palm View Village felt that the spirits of the murdered family still remain.
Yolly Daan, who lives near the Ponce family’s house, said she would hear from neighbors that strange things are happening inside the house.
Daan, the wife of Provincial Board member Julian “Teban” Daan and a close friend of the Ponce family, said she heard strange tales from her neighbors.
One of her neighbors said water would come out from the faucet outside the house, even though no one was there.
The house had been abandoned since Oct. 16, 2011, the day of the murders. Daan said the last time Melinda’s family visited the house was after the incident itself. Since then, they have locked the house and has not returned there since, she said.
Some workers of a nearby mall said they would hear dogs howling near the house. Larito Concial, a trisikad driver, said he always felt a strange vibe whenever he passes the Ponce house.
"Manglimbawot gyud ang akong balhibo basta muagi ko anang balaya (My would hair stand on its end),” Concial said.
Concial, 33, said he was one of those who were waiting outside the Ponce family’s house when the family was murdered by their patriarch.
Even now, the image of the bodies of Melinda, her three kids and her housemaid are still etched in his mind.
Concial said he pitied the surviving daughter of the couple, who will be spending a reunion with her family on All Souls’ and All Saints’ Day today.
“Dili gyud lalim kung siya na lang ang mahabilin sa iyang pamilya. Bata pa kaayo siya (It will be very difficult for her. She’s still very young),” he said.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on November 03, 2013.