Undas observance ‘peaceful’-A A +A
Sunday, November 3, 2013
CEBU -- The observance of All Saints’ Day and All Souls’ Day was generally peaceful, but was marred by overcharging of fares, cancellation of trips resulting to stranded passengers, and long lines in purchasing tickets.
The Land Transportation Office (LTO) in Central Visayas region said heavy passenger traffic at both the Cebu South Bus Terminal and the Cebu North Bus Terminal last November 1, prompting Governor Hilario Davide III to ask four towns to send buses to augment public utility buses.
LTO Regional Director Arnel Tancinco said the same thing happened at Cebu ports where passengers waited in a kilometer-long line to buy tickets.
Tancinco said the situation on Saturday was different with the terminals almost empty.
Commodore William Melad of the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) Central-Eastern Visayas Command said the heavy influx of passengers started last October 31.
“Some passengers complained of delayed trips. Except for a ‘man overboard’ incident that occurred last October 31 on MV Wonderful Stars, no maritime incident was reported,” Melad said.
Senior Superintendent Glenn Sarador of the Cebu Port Authority (CPA) Security Division reported that 162 passengers bound for Tubigon, Bohol were stranded last October 31 after MV Star Crafts canceled its special trip, which had been approved by the Maritime Industry Authority.
Sarador reported to CPA General Manager Edmund Tan that other stranded passengers stayed inside CPA terminals for safety and security last October 31, hoping that they could get tickets the following day.
Sarador said some passengers complained that VG Shipping charged P400 for a ticket that cost P160 on a regular day.
He said there were fewer passengers on Saturday compared to last November 1.
There were also fewer visitors to cemeteries in Cebu City.
At the Carreta Cemetery, the crowd was estimated at 8,000, compared to the 16,000 last Friday.
Daniela Mangubat, who sells flowers, candles and food, said many people went home last Friday night instead of staying overnight in previous years. Apparently, they were afraid of the aftershocks, she said.
Chief Inspector Wildemar Tiu of the Waterfront Police Station, who serves as the ground commander in Carreta, said they expected the lower turnout on All Souls’ Day.
Tiu said most people came last Friday, because they thought the cemeteries would be full Saturday.
“That’s the usual perception and it is also the reason (a) huge crowd was seen last Friday,” he said.
The streets were also quieter Saturday, with fewer vehicles.
City Traffic Operations Management (Citom) Operations Chief Raphael Yap said there were no major vehicular accidents.
He said the parking areas near the cemeteries had many empty slots.
Around the province, though, a man was killed and six others injured in five separate vehicular accidents.
The first accident took place at 5:30 a.m. in Barangay Poblacion, Badian last Friday.
According to the investigation, a Metrolink Express Bus driven by Jolly Jay Rossell, 30, was behind a trisikad driven by Benjie Cabag, 37, when the bus hit the trisikad, injuring Cabag.
Cabag was taken to the Badian District Hospital.
At 11 a.m., two motorcycles driven by Alejandro Carao, 36, and Jason Perasta, 18, collided in Barangay Pitalo, San Fernando.
Alejandro’s passenger Joselyn, 35, and Perasta’s passenger Basilia Intong, 74, were both injured.
At 2 p.m., a sedan and passenger bus collided in Barangay Mantalongon, Barili. No one got injured.
Both vehicles were headed south when the accident happened.
The bus driven by Pedro Lirasan, 54, pulled over to drop off a passenger. The car driven by Ruben Marcojos, 45, tried to overtake when the bus suddenly moved forward, resulting to the collision.
Senior Police Officer 2 (SPO2) Marcelo Quevedo of Barili Police Station said the bumpers of both vehicles were damaged. The drivers went to police station and agreed to settle.
In Barangay Takay, Sogod, a man on board a motorcycle died after he accidentally sideswiped two siblings around 7:30 p.m.
SPO2 Tim Soreño of Sogod Police Station said Vicente Avedo, 34, died from severe head injuries.
The driver was traveling from Barangay Mohon using a flashlight because his headlight was broken when he sideswiped Maria Carmela, 17, and her sister Emelyn Valero, 22. They all fell and were dragged six meters.
The three were rushed to the Juan Dosado Memorial Hospital, where Avedo was declared dead on arrival.
At 11:10 p.m., an American national was injured after the multicab he was driving hit a tree stump in Barangay Azucena, Barili.
Kenneth Brown, 52, of Barangay Maribago, Lapu-Lapu City suffered abrasions in his chest and other parts of the body.
PO2 Pablito Caadlawon of Barili Police Station said Brown was heading for Cebu City when the accident occurred.
Brown reportedly felt asleep. His vehicle veered to the opposite lane before hitting the tree. He was taken to the Barili District Hospital. (Sun.Star Cebu)
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on November 03, 2013.