Robbery suspect killed in shootout

-A A +A

Monday, December 2, 2013


A SUSPECTED robber was shot and killed in an alleged shootout with police officers in Barangay Lorega San Miguel, Cebu City last Saturday night.

SPO2 Leopoldo Bauzon of the Cebu City Police Office’s Theft and Robbery Section (TRS) said the man has yet to be identified. He stood 5’2” and wore brown denim pants and a blue T-shirt.

According to a police investigation, the robbery suspect held up Dariel John Cadenas, 24, on P. Del Rosario St. while the latter was riding his motorcycle and stopped for a red light.

The man allegedly poked a gun at Cadenas while getting on the passenger side of the motorcycle. The armed culprit told Cadenas to just drive, which the latter was forced to heed.

When they were nearing New Imus Road, Cadenas noticed the elements of the Parian Police Station manning a checkpoint that gave him an idea how to escape from the robbery suspect.

Cadenas, a messenger of Barangay Tisa, Cebu City, intentionally crashed his red Honda motorcycle to alert the authorities.

Upon impact, Cadenas shouted for help from the police, while the man ran away.
A brief chased ensued between the man and the police.

The man allegedly fired at the team of police officers, but he missed. This prompted the responding police officers to fire back.

The man died from multiple gunshot wounds in the different parts of his body.

A 9mm pistol with six bullets was reportedly recovered from the possession of the man.

Two empty shells of 9mm pistol and .45 pistol were also found in the area.

Spotted

Bauzon said his team of TRS operatives earlier spotted the man, along with another robbery suspect, on Osmeña Blvd. while they were on their way to respond to another robbery alarm.

A few minutes later, Bauzon said he heard an alarm from their radio that a shooting incident transpired in Barangay Lorega San Miguel.

“Pag-abot namo (in Lorega San Miguel), siya among nakit-an unya patay na (When we reached the area, we saw him already dead),” Bauzon said.

The suspect’s remains lies at Saint Francis Funeral Homes on N. Bacalso Ave.

A staff from the funeral homes told Sun.Star Cebu last night that no one has so far come out to identify the man or to claim his body.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on December 02, 2013.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!
2013 Bar results out

FOREX: US$ 1.00 = PhP 44.420

Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas

Philippine Lotto Results

Gamesort iconCombinations
6Digit7-2-0-8-1-6
Swertres Lotto 11AM8-9-8
Swertres Lotto 4PM4-5-2
Swertres Lotto 9PM6-0-7
EZ2 Lotto 9PM04-02
public media
Plus and Special
Channel 14

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu front page for April 17, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Sinulog
  • ePaper
  • goodearth
  • Philippine Polls
  • Festivals
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Habemus Papam
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Technology
  • Pnoy
  • Obituary
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Calamity Report
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Pacman blog
  • Filipino Abroad