Parents air concern over unpaid tuition-A A +A
Tuesday, December 3, 2013
THE parents of graduating scholars of the Cebu City Government, who are enrolled at the Asian College of Technology (ACT), are worried that their children would not be able to graduate in March.
This, after the City Government withheld payment of P119 million to ACT under the local government’s scholarship program.
Councilor Noel Wenceslao said he received reports that hundreds of graduating scholars and their parents are concerned that their children would not be able to participate in their graduation exercise in March because of the non-payment.
The parents, he said, are also worried that the transcript of records of their children will not be released by the school.
Sought for comment, former city councilor Jose Daluz III, who heads the scholarship committee, said the issue has to be discussed by the body.
“Dapat gyud nang lingkuran. Tan-awon gyud na (We need to discuss) how we can solve the matter,” he said.
Based on the records of the scholarship committee, about 4,500 scholars are enrolled at ACT.
During the City Council’s Nov. 27 session, Wenceslao filed a resolution asking the scholarship committee and officials of ACT to appear before the legislative body tomorrow.
Wenceslao wants them to brief councilors about the status of the City's monetary obligation to the ACT.
City Hall withheld payment to ACT last year after Philip Banguiran filed a case against Rep. Rodrigo Abellanosa (Cebu City, south district) for conflict of interest.
Abellanosa, owner and president of ACT, was a member of the City Council committee that approves the mayor’s authority to sign a contract with schools participating in the scholarship program.
The scholarship program started during the administration of then mayor Tomas Osmeña and involved 23 schools, including ACT.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on December 03, 2013.