Senator’s PDAF for Capitol projects sacked after ruling-A A +A
Friday, December 6, 2013
SENATOR Teofisto Guingona III’s P13.175 million Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) intended for Cebu may no longer be realized, said the Cebu governor’s chief of Staff Ramil Abing, after the high tribunal declared it as unconstitutional.
Abing said Guingona’s chief of staff Jeric Jacuban told him that Guingona’s PDAF was covered by the recent Supreme Court declaration.
The Cebu Provincial Board had authorized Cebu Gov. Hilario Davide III to sign a memorandum of agreement for the transfer of the fund.
Abing said the fund was intended to support the Kapit Bisig Laban sa Kahirapan Comprehensive and Integrated Delivery of Social Serivces (Kalahi-CIDSS) project of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) in Cebu.
Part of the fund will be for the oil spill clean-up in Cordova, rice assistance in Sogod town and the DSWD 7 office.
Cebu officials were hoping last month that Guingona’s PDAF will not be affected by earlier Supreme Court’s order freezing the remaining part of the fund in the 2013 budget since it was released earlier.
The P13.175 million pork barrel is covered by a special allotment release order (Saro) dated Dec. 12, 2012.
And yet it is still covered by the recent Supreme Court ruling that the release of whole amount of the fund is prohibited.
The Supreme Court last Sept. 10 put on hold the release of the remaining PDAF or pork barrel of senators and congressmen under the 2013 budget in response to petitions seeking to declare these funds unconstitutional.
On Nov. 19, the Supreme Court declared as unconstitutional the pork barrel, the multi-million peso discretionary fund congressmen receive every year.
Petitioners challenged its constitutionality following reports of its widespread and systematic misuse by congressmen in cahoots with private individuals who create fake non-government organisations.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on December 06, 2013.