‘Move to safer ground now’-A A +A
Tuesday, December 10, 2013
The MGB team found two cracks on the ground that were caused by the 7.2 magnitude earthquake on Oct. 15.
MGB also recommended that the barangay put up signs and barriers to warn people about the landslide-prone area.
They also suggested to the barangay to regularly communicate and provide updates on the situation in the sitio.
Regular monitoring of old and newly developed tension cracks should conducted, said MGB. It added that residents should be vigilant, especially during heavy rain.
Mayor Michael Rama agreed with the recommendation.
He said there is no need for the Local Disaster Risk Reduction Management (LDRRMC) to wait for his go signal to take action.
“When they see the danger in the situation, it's already a judgment call,” he said.
Councilor Dave Tumulak said he talked with Buhisan Barangay Captain Gremar Barete on the issue.
He said Barete proposed to conduct a survey to determine the exact number of families who are in danger in Sitio Sandayong and Lower Puti, both considered landslide-prone.
Tumulak had recommended the relocation of affected families. The barangay urged affected residents to move to the barangay sports complex, which was identified as temporary evacuation center.
But residents chose to stay in their houses.
Tumulak said Barete wants residents to sign a document as proof that the barangay had already asked them to leave but they opted to stay.
But Tumulak said Barete should find a way to ensure the safety of the residents.
Tumulak plans to help Barangay Buhisan in convincing the residents to evacuate.
Tumulak expressed that if the residents continue to refuse, the City might resort to police power and implement forced evacuation.
“I am calling all the affected residents to heed the barangay and the City's move for their safety,” he added.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on December 10, 2013.