Survivors not keen on tent city

-A A +A

Tuesday, December 10, 2013


ONLY 24 families from Eastern Visayas who evacuated to Cebu City after typhoon Yolanda are willing to transfer to the tent city at the South Road Properties (SRP).

Some of the families are hesitant to live there because they still fear the sea, said the City Government’s Department of Social Welfare Services (DSWS) chief Ester Concha.

Others will go home to Leyte while others will go to Manila and Mindanao to stay with their relatives.

There are more than 300 internally displaced persons or 74 families who are housed at the two remaining evacuation centers in the city-Tinago Sports Complex and Cogon Ramos Gym.

Records

Concha yesterday said that of the number, only 24 families are willing to transfer to the tent city based on the records of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) 7.

Yolanda killed thousands in Leyte last month with its storm surges.

Concha said the evacuees will be safe at the tent city, but will not force the evacuees to live there.

The tent city is scheduled to open on Thursday. It can accommodate at least 50 families.

Management

Concha had said they will transfer the evacuees to the tent city once the management of the evacuation centers will be turned over to the City.

The DSWD 7 has turned over the management of Tinago and Cogon Ramos evacuation centers to the City yesterday.

In his regular news conference, Mayor Michael Rama said he wants the functions of the City as overseer of the evacuation centers to be defined.

The mayor wants to know if the City will be the one to account for all the pledges and donations, particularly the food, that will be given to the evacuation areas.

The City has not received any donation since all pledges are coursed through DSWD.

Asked about the matter, Concha said the City will be the one responsible in managing the camp and in looking after the needs of the evacuees, including the distribution of donations.

She said there is nothing to worry since her office has the records of all donations it received.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on December 10, 2013.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!
2013 Bar results out

FOREX: US$ 1.00 = PhP 44.420

Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas

Philippine Lotto Results

Gamesort iconCombinations
6Digit7-2-0-8-1-6
Swertres Lotto 11AM8-9-8
Swertres Lotto 4PM4-5-2
Swertres Lotto 9PM6-0-7
EZ2 Lotto 9PM04-02
public media
Plus and Special
Channel 14

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu front page for April 16, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Obituary
  • goodearth
  • Pacman blog
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Habemus Papam
  • ePaper
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Philippine Polls
  • Pnoy
  • Technology
  • Festivals
  • Sinulog
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Calamity Report