Sinulog to increase ticket prices-A A +A
Wednesday, December 11, 2013
THE organizers of next year’s Sinulog will increase the prices of all tickets for the grand parade by P200.
This way, the Sinulog Foundation Inc. (SFI) can give financial assistance to contingents who can’t make it to the festival after being affected by Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan).
SFI executive director Ricky Ballesteros said the P200 increase will apply to the white, yellow, green and pink tickets for the Sinulog grand parade, which will be held on Jan. 19, 2014.
This means the P700 white tickets for the Sinulog 2013 will cost P900 next year; the P600 yellow tickets P800; and the P500 green and pink tickets P700.
Annually, the SFI prepares at least 6,300 tickets for the grand parade. This includes 700 white tickets, 2,200 yellow tickets, 1,700 green tickets and 1,700 pink tickets.
The number of tickets the SFI prepares is based on the seating capacity of the grandstand of the Cebu City Sports Center (CCSC).
In an interview with Sun.Star Cebu yesterday, Ballesteros said they will give financial assistance to residents in Alang-Alang, Abuyog, Dulag and Tanauan in Leyte.
Yolanda devastated Leyte with its storm surges.
Asked if SFI have determined how much they will be giving the Yolanda-affected areas, Ballesteros said it will depend on their income from the ticket sales.
SFI will start selling tickets for the Sinulog grand parade this week. Tickets will be available at the SFI office at the CCSC.
Mayor Michael Rama said next year’s Sinulog will still be festive. He said the Sinulog executive committee has lined up many activities for next year’s event.
The holding of next year’s Sinulog will cost at least P40 million, P22 million of which will be used for the prices for the activities such as the grand parade, Sinulog sa Kabataan and photo contest among others.
The P22 million, Ballesteros said, will be subsidized by the City Government as previously practiced. The remaining amount, he said, will have to be raised by SFI.
Ballesteros said the theme for next year’s grand parade will be “Faith Withstands All.”
Ballesteros said they want to show to the local and foreign tourists who will attend the Sinulog the “hope, charity, resiliency, and faith” the people from disaster-stricken areas have shown following the 7.2-magnitude earthquake that hit Cebu and Bohol and the typhoon that hit Eastern Visayas and northern Cebu.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on December 11, 2013.