2 councilors waive aid CH will give to workers

-A A +A

Thursday, December 19, 2013


TWO Cebu City councilors are waiving their P20,000 calamity assistance that City Hall will be giving to its workers.

Councilors Margarita Osmeña and Lea Japson made the move after their colleagues approved the proposal of Councilor Sisinio Andales to request the executive department to give a P20,000-calamity assistance to 4,200 City Hall employees instead of giving them a Christmas bonus.

The approval was granted on the condition that the distribution of calamity assistance will depend on the availability of funds.

Osmeña said she will waive her cash assistance, saying she was not badly affected by the two calamities.

Councilor Lea Japson followed suit and asked the City Treasurer’s Office not to include her name in the payroll for the financial assistance.

In his one-page measure, Andales said the giving of P20,000 calamity assistance to qualified City Hall employees is based on the request of the Program on Awards and Incentives for Service Excellence (Praise) committee.

Praise, which is headed by Eugene Elizalde, said the money will help hasten the recovery of the employees and their relatives from the damage brought about by the 7.2-magnitude earthquake last October and the super typhoon Yolanda last November.

Praise then invoked the Office of the President and the City Council’s declaration of a national state of calamity and state of calamity, respectively.
‘Qualified’

Osmeña asked Andales what he meant when he said that those who will receive the calamity assistance are only “qualified” employees.

Andales said qualified employees are those who are currently employed with the City Government.

The council then approved Andales’ resolution.

Andales said the City will need a total of P84 million for the calamity assistance to the employees.

The City Treasurer’s Office, he said, has already certified that the City has P102 million worth of funds that can be used for it.

The calamity assistance forms part of the executive department’s proposed P140.3 million third supplemental budget (SB 3).

Under the proposed additional budget though, the amount set aside for the cash aid is only P61 million which means that each employee will only get at least P15,000 each.

The legislative body had already scheduled a special session today to discuss the proposed SB 3.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on December 19, 2013.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!
Holy Week 2014

FOREX: US$ 1.00 = PhP 44.487

Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas

Philippine Lotto Results

Gamesort iconCombinations
6Digit7-2-0-8-1-6
Swertres Lotto 11AM8-9-8
Swertres Lotto 4PM4-5-2
Swertres Lotto 9PM6-0-7
EZ2 Lotto 9PM04-02
public media
Plus and Special
Channel 14

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu front page for April 21, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Pnoy
  • Festivals
  • Habemus Papam
  • ePaper
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Philippine Polls
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Technology
  • tell it to sunstar
  • goodearth
  • Calamity Report
  • Obituary
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Pacman blog
  • Sinulog