‘Gun-for-hire’ shot by police-A A +A
Friday, December 20, 2013
A SUSPECTED gun-for-hire who was allegedly responsible for the fatal shooting of a policeman in Carcar City, Cebu was killed by police Thursday morning.
Jesser Gamboa, 25, of Barangay Perrelos, Carcar City, died from multiple gunshot wounds.
Senior Insp. Leo Logronio of the Cebu Provincial Police Office’s Provincial Intelligence Branch said the suspect was identified as the man who gunned down PO1 Felicisimo Unabia Jr. last Dec. 11.
Gamboa was also allegedly involved in the P1.2-million daylight robbery in Barangay Valladolid last Sept. 26.
A five-man team led by SPO1 Reynaldo Solante went to the city to conduct investigative patrol following a series of shooting incidents, Logronio said.
The operatives received a report at 11:15 a.m. that Gamboa was spotted driving a motorcycle along the road in Sitio Awayan, Barangay Poblacion III.
They tailed the suspect on board a car and tried to approach him. However, Gamboa allegedly pulled out a .45 pistol from his waistline when he noticed their presence.
Before he could pull the trigger, the operatives shot him. They shot him again when he allegedly refused to lay down his firearm and surrender.
“Wala na lang nila tagai og chance kay sila unya mapusilan. Ang mga kriminal karon kay mopusil na og pulis. Threat na gyud to siya (The operatives didn’t want to take any chances. Criminals today are not afraid to shoot at the police. He really was a threat),” Logronio said in a press briefing.
The operatives rushed Gamboa to the Carcar City District Hospital, but he was declared dead on arrival.
Recovered from his possession were a .45 pistol with two magazines, 14 live bullets and four improvised tooters.
Solante, in a separate interview, said the suspect was reportedly on his way to a mountain area to visit a hideout his group allegedly uses.
Gamboa reportedly belonged to a gun-for-hire and robbery group, who was allegedly responsible for several incidents in Cebu.
“Unya sa iyang grupo, siya gyud daw mismo ang kursonado mangigo (Among the group’s other members Gamboa was the one who enjoyed his job),” Solante said.
With Gamboa’s death, the group, which is the subject of a follow-up operation, reportedly has less than 10 members.
Solante said they’ve been monitoring Gamboa’s movements since the robbery in Barangay Valladolid, where he was allegedly involved.
A bank messenger was on his way to deposit money to a bank when he was intercepted by two men on a motorcycle. The messenger had just picked up the cash from Vifco, a piggery.
Gamboa was also identified, through a closed-circuit television camera, as the passenger of the motorcycle who shot and killed Unabia.
The policeman assigned in the Mobile Patrol Group of the Cebu City Police Office was waiting for a passenger bus to report for duty when the attack took place.
Gamboa’s gun will be subjected to a ballistic examination to determine if it was used in other crimes.
In a report over GMA-7’s Balitang Bisdak, Gamboa’s father Charlito said his son had been involved in crimes but he had changed.
Last September. Gamboa was released from jail after a murder case filed against him was dismissed.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on December 20, 2013.