Police have a suspect in 2 Koreans’ death-A A +A
Saturday, December 21, 2013
IT ALL started with a picture sent on Facebook.
Police are looking for a Chinese-Filipino car dealer whom they believe was involved in the disappearance of two Korean men who were believed to have been burned inside a vehicle in Barangay Sabang, Danao City last month.
Senior Supt. Noel Gillamac, director of Cebu Provincial Police Office, said the suspect is the last person the Koreans had contact with.
Also, residents near the suspect’s warehouse heard five gunshots inside the building.
Sun.Star Cebu is withholding his name until he is arrested or charged.
One of the Koreans sent a picture to his brother in their native country through the social networking site, a day before they went missing.
With the coordination of the Korean’s family, Gillamac said they obtained the picture showing six vehicles inside a warehouse.
They were able to trace its location in Lower Pakigne, Minglanilla during a follow-up operation last Wednesday.
They also recovered two of the vehicles: a gold Mitsubishi Lancer and a Kia Sorento.
Both vehicles don’t have a plate number.
During the operation conducted by the Provincial Intelligence Branch and the Provincial Investigation and Detective Management Branch, police arrested 26-year-old Marlo Barillo, the warehouse’s caretaker, for obstruction of justice after he refused to let them enter the premises.
Police were forced to scale the warehouse’s wall to gain entry.
Barillo, a native of La Libertad, Negros Oriental, is detained in the Minglanilla Police Station.
To check the warehouse, Gillamac said they obtained search warrants from Regional Trial Court Branch 19 Judge Wilfredo Navarro for carnapping and kidnapping against the suspect.
The warrant for carnapping came after a female car dealer reported to police that the suspect did not return her Mitsubishi Lancer for several days. She also executed an affidavit against the suspect.
The warrant for kidnapping was based on the disappearance of the two Koreans.
“Siya mao’y last nga ka-deal sa mga Koreans (The suspect was the last one the Koreans dealt with),” Gillamac said.
The Koreans were also involved in selling cars by serving as middle men.
In their analysis, Gillamac said they believed the crime scene took place in the warehouse, following the gunshots heard by the neighbors.
They invited the PNP Regional Crime Laboratory Office 7 to look for possible evidences in the area.
“Maybe, something went wrong during the transaction,” Gillamac said.
The suspect is known by the Highway Patrol Group (HPG) 7 to be involved in buying and selling surplus vehicles.
Although police can’t confirm yet if the cadavers found inside a burned sports utility vehicles in Danao City belong to the Koreans, he said ther were those cadavers found inside burned up SUV in Danao City, he said there’s a high probability of a match.
“If we will consider all the evidences, it’s safe to say they are the missing Koreans.
But the best way for us is to wait for the DNA results,” Gillamac said.
Police are evaluating all evidences and accounts of witnesses to determine the charges they will file against the suspect.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on December 21, 2013.