3 Carcar killings alarm mayor-A A +A
Monday, December 23, 2013
ANOTHER incident last Friday brought to four the number of killings in Carcar City this month.
“Hasta ko nabalaka sab ko ani, naningkamot sab ta (I am also worried),” said Carcar Cty Mayor Nicepuro Apura.
He said he talked to Chief Insp. Teodulfo Manatad, Carcar City officer-in-charge of the police office last Friday, and ordered him to focus on hold-ups and robberies, in addition to killings in this city.
He has also ordered the police to hold more surprise checkpoints.
“Labi na kadtong duna nay mga kaso (Especially those who have previous cases),” Apura told Sun.Star.
A septuagenarian is fighting for her life after she was shot by two men on a motorcycle in Barangay Poblacion I, Carcar City, Cebu late Thursday night.
Estela Lazaga Barazona, 74, sustained a gunshot wound in her chest.
PO1 Raymon Amance, assistant investigator of Carcar City Police Station, said Barazona was inside her sari-sari store when the incident took place at 11 p.m.
The suspects arrived and pretended to buy cigarettes. When Barazona opened her sari-sari store, one of the suspects shot her right away.
“Walay nakaila sa mga namusil kay kalit man kaayo ang panghitabo (The incident was so sudden),” Amance said.
The police are still investigating the motive of the incident, since the victim reportedly doesn’t have enemies.
Barazona was rushed to Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center (VSMMC), where she is reportedly in critical condition, Amance said.
Three empty shells from a .45 pistol were recovered by police in the crime scene.
Last Dec. 12, Cebu Provincial Police Office (CPPO) Director Noel Gillamac replaced Carcar City Director Supt. Ricky Delilis, who had been holding the position for 11 months, and temporarily assigned Manatad to the post.
The relief followed the killing of PO1 Felicisimo Unabia in Carcar City. Unabia was on his way to work in Cebu City when shot on the night of Dec. 11. Two men were arrested.
The next day, Delilis was relieved for alleged lapses in handling the major crimes that happened in his jurisdiction this year.
Gillamac then subjected Delilis to a pre-charged evaluation to determine if he is not being remised in his duties and responsibilities as chief of police (COP).
Gillamac during a press conference, after the killing pointed to the city’s mounting incidents of holdups, killings and murder cases that were left unsolved.
Last Nov. 29, a man was shot and killed by unidentified suspects while attending a wake in Barangay Poblacion II in Carcar.
Herbert Quijano, 50, a resident of Barangay Valladolid, died on the spot, said PO3 Vivian Tamayo of Carcar City Police Station.
On Dec. 11, an off-duty policeman was gunned down by two men on a motorcycle in Barangay Poblacion II.
PO1 Felicisimo Unabia Jr., 34, was waiting for a passenger bus on Jose P. Rizal St. so he could report for duty in Cebu City when he was shot. He sustained multiple gunshot wounds in his head and chest.
A week later, a suspected gun-for-hire who was allegedly responsible for the fatal shooting of a Unabia was killed during a police operation. He was identified as Jesser Gamboa, 25. (OPM/SM)
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on December 23, 2013.