Another road accident in Tabogon claims 1 life-A A +A
Saturday, December 28, 2013
A MAN died and four others were injured during a four vehicular smashup in Barangay Libjo, Tabogon, Cebu last Saturday.
A Bantayan-bound van hit a multicab as it was going down a steep portion of the national highway around 2:30 p.m.
The multicab hit a parked car that was distributing relief goods to the victims of super typhoon Yolanda. The van also hit a Ceres Bus Liner on the opposite lane.
The passengers of the multicab driven by Inocentes Mondero bore the brunt of the impact, said Tabogon Police Station Chief Welther Grapa.
Loreto Armero, 41, was thrown off from the vehicle and died.
The other passengers--Marin Mondero, 20; Vincent Lorie Armero, 16; Geralda Mondero, 54; and Laiza Armero, eight—were injured. They are all residents of Barangay Don Gregorio Antigua, Borbon.
One of the Ceres bus passengers driven by Arnel Tul-id of Barangay Caduawan, Tabogon was also wounded. He was identified as Lester Idaño, 21, of Barangay Hagnaya, San Remigio.
The victims were taken to the Severo Verallo District Hospital in Bogo City.
Grapa, in a phone interview, said the car driven by Guillermo Bunjag of Barangay Pit-os, Cebu City was parked along the highway as they were distributing assistance to typhoon survivors.
The multicab driven by Melvin Andilab, 42, of Pagadian City, Zamboanga del Sur, tried to avoid the car when the van rear-ended it.
“Natagak ‘to ang namatay unya nabangil iyang ulo sa ligid sa van (Armero fell and his head was ran over by one of the van’s wheels),” the police chief said.
Andilab, who temporarily resides in Barangay Tayud, Consolacion, was detained at the police station.
He may face a complaint for reckless imprudence resulting to homicide, multiple physical injuries and damage to properties.
Grapa, during the interview, reminded motorists to be cautious especially in long drives to the northern part of Cebu.
“Check ang mga brakes. Hinay-hinay sad dapat sa pag-overtake (Check your brakes. Be careful when overtaking),” he said.
Last week, a 10-wheeler cargo truck carrying sugarcane workers fell into a ravine in Barangay Ilihan, Tabogon, killing three people and wounding 39 others, including a one-year-old girl.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on December 28, 2013.