Mandaue to build new market for P300M; vendors laud move

-A A +A

Sunday, January 5, 2014


FOR vendors who have long wanted to return to the site of the old public market, the Oct. 15 earthquake was a blessing in disguise.

The damage caused by the 7.2 magnitude on the new Mandaue City Public Market has prompted the City Government to design a new facility at the old site, which vendors consider more accessible because of its proximity to the City Hall and the chuch.

Imelda Roncales, 47, who sells dry goods like bags and toys, said she has always favored the old public market, located at the back of the St. Joseph National Shrine and the St. Joseph’s Academy.

Advertisement

“Menus gyud diri ang tawo (Fewer people come here),” she told Sun.Star Cebu yesterday, referring to the new public market, which was declared unsafe for occupancy following the earthquake.

Last Thursday, Mayor Cortes announced that a design has been made for a new public market market that will rise at the old site, where the condemned old market building still stands.

City Hall

He said he will forgo the construction of a new City Hall, or the People’s Center, at the site of the old market.

Instead of the People’s Center, a three-story market building will rise in the 9,000-square meter lot.

The City is now preparing for the bidding of the new facility, which is estimated to cost P250 million to P300 million.

“Dakong uyon gyud mi anang pagtukod ug bag-ong merkado didto (We support the construction of a new public market there),” said Roncales, mother of eight children, four of whom are still going to school.

The old market building was condemned after it was hit by a fire, prompting the City Government to construct a new building at the back of the City Sports and Cultural Complex.

The vendors transferred to the new location in January 2012.

The new market building was severely damaged by last year’s earthquake, which killed a female vendor and injured more than 30 others. The vendors had to set up their stalls outside the building, on a nearby street and at the parking lot of the sports complex.

The City has granted a moratorium on rental fees and approved the release of P5,000 in cash assistance to the displaced occupants of 1,300 stalls.

Caridad Sugarol, 45, another vendor of dry goods, said her earnings dropped by more than half in the new public market.

“It only gets crowded here at dawn. At the old public market, buyers come throughout the day),” she said.

Roncales said she opens her stall in the new public market at 5 a.m. and closes it at 5 p.m. At the old location, she opens at 3 a.m. and closes at 8 p.m.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 06, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu front page for October 01, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Technology
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Festivals
  • goodearth
  • Calamity Report
  • Pacman blog
  • Habemus Papam
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Sinulog
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Philippine Polls
  • Obituary
  • Pnoy
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • ePaper
  • Filipino Abroad